How good is Eldritch Disciple?

Thanee

First Post
The problem is, that you essentially become a three-class-character then, not just two classes.

i.e. (example with Mystic Theurge, because it is quite straightforward)

1st Wizard | Cleric
2nd Wizard | Cleric
3rd Wizard | Cleric
4th Mystic Theurge | Fighter
5th Mystic Theurge | Fighter
6th Mystic Theurge | Fighter

So, up until 13th level, you have FULL wizard *and* cleric spellcasting, plus almost full BAB, tons of Fighter feats and so on, and so on, and so on.

That is certainly not the intention. ;)

Another common problem is Level Adjustment. Some DMs allow LA to take up one side of the Gestalt, thereby effectively making a character, that is TWICE its actual character level (up to an increase equal to the LA). That's the same as to allow full stacking of Wizard | Wizard (i.e. +2 caster levels each level and so on; which is obviously not allowed, but just as a comparison of the power level).

That is certainly not the intention either. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Theroc

First Post
The problem is, that you essentially become a three-class-character then, not just two classes.

i.e. (example with Mystic Theurge, because it is quite straightforward)

1st Wizard | Cleric
2nd Wizard | Cleric
3rd Wizard | Cleric
4th Mystic Theurge | Fighter
5th Mystic Theurge | Fighter
6th Mystic Theurge | Fighter

So, up until 13th level, you have FULL wizard *and* cleric spellcasting, plus almost full BAB, tons of Fighter feats and so on, and so on, and so on.

That is certainly not the intention. ;)

Another common problem is Level Adjustment. Some DMs allow LA to take up one side of the Gestalt, thereby effectively making a character, that is TWICE its actual character level (up to an increase equal to the LA). That's the same as to allow full stacking of Wizard | Wizard (i.e. +2 caster levels each level and so on; which is obviously not allowed, but just as a comparison of the power level).

That is certainly not the intention either. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Well, the DM is allowing the LA to take up one side of the gestalt, and I'd need to doublecheck to be certain, but I think he's allowing things such as
Scout/Ranger with Swift Stalker (Which basically makes each ranger level count as a scout level and each scout level count as a ranger level for certain class features)...

So, I figured I'd ask to see if this would be allowed.

Edit:
Here was what build I had been looking at
Drow/Drow (The LA, obviously)
Cleric/Draconic
Cleric/Warlock
Cleric/Warlock
Eldritch Disciple/Warlock

Obviously it seems my DM is deviating from RAW, which isn't necessarily a problem for me, though it obviously will result in a much higher powered campaign, given the obvious boost such things are. I haven't gone into much detail as to the exact specifics of my build yet, as I wasn't sure whether this would work or not.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
Well, the DM is allowing the LA to take up one side of the gestalt, and I'd need to doublecheck to be certain, but I think he's allowing things such as
Scout/Ranger with Swift Stalker (Which basically makes each ranger level count as a scout level and each scout level count as a ranger level for certain class features)...

So, I figured I'd ask to see if this would be allowed.

Edit:
Here was what build I had been looking at
Drow/Drow (The LA, obviously)

That is taking up both sides of the gestalt and not 1 side. IMO it it like taking fighter/fighter and saying you get both the 1st and 2nd level fighter feats at the same time.

Theroc

First Post
That is taking up both sides of the gestalt and not 1 side. IMO it it like taking fighter/fighter and saying you get both the 1st and 2nd level fighter feats at the same time.

As I said, I'm not very familiar with the gestalt, I assumed if it was allowed to take 1 side, I could simply place both levels on either side. Apparently that doesn't work, but in the end, the result is the same as-

Warlock/Drow
Cleric/Drow
Warlock/Draconic
Warlock/Cleric
Warlock/Cleric

Sorry about the confusion, as I said, I really am kinda stumbling blindly, though I learn fastest making mistakes and being corrected.

DM is allowing Eldritch Disciple, by the way. Not sure whether it takes one side or both, though.

irdeggman

First Post
DM is allowing Eldritch Disciple, by the way. Not sure whether it takes one side or both, though.

You will have to ask him since by allowing the presitge class at all he has deviated from the RAW (well as much as anything in UA is actually RAW - since everything there is "optional" in the first place).

Normally you can combine a prestige class and a standard class but not 2 prestige classes for any gestalt level.

Theroc

First Post
You will have to ask him since by allowing the presitge class at all he has deviated from the RAW (well as much as anything in UA is actually RAW - since everything there is "optional" in the first place).

Normally you can combine a prestige class and a standard class but not 2 prestige classes for any gestalt level.

Not sure I follow. Eldritch Disciple is 1 prestige class.

If I wanted ED, would it be something like, "Eldritch Disciple/Cleric" for a level? Or would it be "Eldritch Disciple"?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
LA is tricky in gestalt. I definitely think it's kind of a joke to just take up one side while gaining a HD and class features on the other. But, it's also not that fair to have it take up both sides. In gestalt, each level is worth significantly more than the LA system assumes. I dunno. For my gestalt game, I used point buy and just gave lower point buys for creatures with LA. I might have been too harsh with the point penalties -- no one's playing an LA race anymore. Then again, my group almost never goes for them normally (they like getting their class features, I guess).

Oh, and I agree with the majority. If your DM allows it, great for you. But I would never allow dual progression prestige classes in gestalt. Not only is it over-powered...it's unnecessary. In a normal game you'd need them to play a viable cleric/warlock. In gestalt...you can just play a cleric//warlock!

Theroc

First Post
Oh, and I agree with the majority. If your DM allows it, great for you. But I would never allow dual progression prestige classes in gestalt. Not only is it over-powered...it's unnecessary. In a normal game you'd need them to play a viable cleric/warlock. In gestalt...you can just play a cleric//warlock!

The game seems very powerheavy... but I honestly was half-expecting him to say no to it... as it would effectively allow me to get a double-bonus to Cleric spellcasting or to Warlock Invocations each level, depending which I take of the other class.

Well, the reason I wanted ED(since I realized with gestalt I could just go Warlock/Cleric) was for the "Gifts of the Divine Patron" which has a few pretty nifty features.

Thanee

First Post
The game seems very powerheavy... but I honestly was half-expecting him to say no to it... as it would effectively allow me to get a double-bonus to Cleric spellcasting or to Warlock Invocations each level, depending which I take of the other class.

No, you can never gain the same thing twice in one level (well, unless your DM significally changes the gestalt rules).

If you have the following...

1st Cleric|Warlock
2nd Cleric|Warlock
3rd Cleric|Warlock
4th Cleric|Eldritch Disciple

At 4th level you only gain +1 to Cleric caster level, +1 level of Cleric spellcasting, etc. The ONLY thing you gain from the Cleric side would be an increase in your Turn Undead ability and possibly a higher bonus from a Domain ability if it is tied to Cleric level.

It's the same as with BAB, hp, skills, ... you only gain the better of the two sides, not both.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads