• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How have you explained roleplaying to your spouse/SO?

MortonStromgal

First Post
Ironically I met my wife playing D&D and now she hates D&D (but loves other rpgs).

I would say its some sorta weird combination between the guys on the TV in the war room moving the little figures around on one hand and on the other hand the guys who dress up and do improv theater in the streets. Most groups are somewhere in the middle.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Exact but shortened process.
1. Watch this (Fellowship of the Ring)
2. Note this: (3E rules cheat sheet)
3. Observe this: (13 people around a old large table, laughing and eating while moving minis)
4. Play this (Joined to take part in the community of the table)

10 years later and many iterations of that group later we have a lot of fun together.

I'm blessed.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Your wife sounds like she's great.

The simplest reply is "we're having fun playing a grown up version of make-pretend".

Now, give that reply to some random person off the street, and they might think you're nuts.

Your wife (from the sounds of things) will at the very least understand what you mean, even if she doesn't understand why you enjoy it.

My husband plays (that's how we met), but my dad does not. However, he was interested in it because I was. The thing he asked the most (at first) was "Did you win?"

Finally, I said, "You don't really win, it is more of a continuing thing" and went on to tell him that it was like telling a story. The GM is the narrarator and the players are the characters. My dad loves Lord of the Rings so I explained it to him as the narrarator sets up the scenes and the players are like Frodo, Sam et al. It appears to have worked.

Mallus

Legend
My wife gets the gist of D&D (and other role-playing games) but she was surprised people still play them. People like her husband and one of her oldest friends.

"Didn't you stop in the 80s?"
"Nope."

nerfherder

Explorer
Finally, I [...] went on to tell him that it was like telling a story. The GM is the narrarator and the players are the characters. My dad loves Lord of the Rings so I explained it to him as the narrarator sets up the scenes and the players are like Frodo, Sam et al. It appears to have worked.
That's almost exactly how I explained it to my girlfriend.

Dan'L

First Post
A number of years ago, I got my wife to try the Babylon 5 RPG (not the d20; the first one). When it came to actual game play, I could tell the moment she "got it." She looked up and proclaimed "Oh! This is just like playing dollies!" (This coming from a then PhD student!)

After the other guys we were playing with finished reasserting there masculinity ("Action figures!") we realized this was a fairly apt analogy. You fictionalize a persona, and walk them through pretend situations, just like when playing with Barbies or GI Joes, and you have some die roll mechanics for adjudicating the arguments.

-Dan'L

FireLance

Legend
A number of people in another thread have mentioned that Shelly Mazzanoble's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Part-time-Sorceress-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0786947268"]Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress[/ame] helped their wives understand D&D.

Argyle King

Legend
The first step, I've found, is to explain what it is without worrying about any sort of stigma the other person might have towards it. Most people -even if they aren't gamers- are willing to listen and attempt to understand the premise of the game. Most people have also roleplayed at sometime in their life; even if they aren't aware of it.

One way I used to explain rpgs was to liken them to Choose Your Own Adventure books. The story gives you choices, and you get to choose what your character wants to do in the situation. It's a very similar idea; you just used dice to detemine the outcome of your action. Unfortunately, I've found that not many people seem to know what CYOA books are anymore.

The other way I've had success using is to describe it as a more grown up version of playing 'pretend' or 'cops and robbers' as a kid. The rules are needed as a way to measure what success and failure and to prevent situations that we had as children with... "I shot you!" "No ,you didn't" "Yes, I did."

Branching off from the book example, I've come to explain RPGs like playing a character in a book. I like to use 'book' rather than 'movie' because books tend to spend more time on character developement and describing the character of the characters; I've found that it tends to convery more of a sense of playing a role and telling a story than a movie does.

I say that the GM is like the author, and he writes the story, but each player gets to choose/write what their character does in parts of the story. The GM might 'write' something such as the following: "You come the end of a hallway, and there are two doors; one on the left and one on the right." You then get to choose what your character does in the situation. Maybe you choose one of the doors and kick it open; maybe you listen at the door to see what you can hear; maybe you check for traps. Your character has skills and abilities which measure how good you are at performing those actions, and you also roll the dice to see how well you do. For example, having high skill in listening or getting a good roll on checking for a trap might mean that you hear someone talking on the other side or discover a hidden trap on the door.

In actual practice, I probably use a mixture of these ideas or change parts of them. It depends upon my target audience; different people respond to different things. However, as I said at the beginning, I think the best thing anyone can do when explaining rpgs is to be positive when they speak of the game. I don't (I think) look like what people imagine when they imagine the typical D&D player. I remember an experience at work where somebody was making fun of (to me) how some customers were dressed and said, "they look like they're probably the type of people who play D&D or stuff like that." I then commented, "well, I don't look like that, and I play D&D." I wasn't a prick about how I said it or anything, I was simply confident in my reply. Since then, my coworker has actually asked about how rpgs work.

Likewise, I've had very good luck explaining the game to females - something which many people on many fora seem to claim is a high DC task, and I've actually GMed for a group which was all female. If you hang your head and act like playing is some sort of crime or that playing is somehow socially wrong, people are going to pick up on that and react accordingly. I'm not saying you need to be Super Sunshine Susie when you explain the game, but don't be afraid to show that you have fun and enjoy the hobby.

I'll close by saying something I alluded to at the beginning of this post. Story telling is one of the oldest human activities. Even our ancient ancestors made rock paintings and told stories around the camp fire. Today, little boys and girls still play pretend, and adults engage in all manner of roleplay - some involving dragons and dice, and some... well, some involve leather armor of a different sort. As I've said already, don't be afraid to enjoy the hobby, and don't be afraid to show other people that you enjoy the hobby when they ask about it. A lot of communication is nonverbal; the way you talk about the game will have an impact on how other people hear about the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads