• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How have you improved as a DM?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Ooh, I like this topic!

There are a lot of lessons I’ve learned since I started DMing, most of them the hard way, but many from observing other DMs and taking note of what works and doesn’t work for them. Some examples I can think of...

You can’t force roleplay. One of the first games I ran, I tried to set up a situation where the PCs would meet and interact. When no one could think of anything to say, we were just stuck, and I, stupidly, just made them sit there awkwardly until they had some kind of awkward forced interaction. No one enjoyed that, including me, and that game never had a second session. One of the players, who was new to D&D at the time, couldn’t play again for years, it made them so uncomfortable (though she’s now one of the most enthusiastic roleplayers at my table.) I made a lot of mistakes there, but they all come down to trying to make the players roleplay on my terms, when I should have let them do so on their own.

Its ok for the PCs to fail. This one took me a while. I used to be terrified of letting the party fail. Not on checks, but on a larger scale, like character’s dying, or failing quests. I would roll behind the screen and fudge results in the players’ favor, I would intentionally have monsters make tactically poor decisions to make sure the party won. And naturally, the players started doing wackier and wilder stuff, knowing that nothing would have meaningful consequences. I can’t really point to a specific moment when I learned this lesson, but I do remember one moment that really made me recognize the problem. A PC went off on his own and fought a group of monsters that he shouldn’t have stood any chance against, and I just let him win. I had to really bend over backwards for it, and I think it was really obvious. To him and the rest of the players. Then he asked how many exp he got for it, and I immediately knew I had messed up big time.

Never let an encounter overstay it’s welcome This is one I’ve both done myself and seen other DMs do a LOT. When you’ve mostly finished off a group of enemies, but we have to keep on going through the motions to finish the encounter, even though the results are already a forgone conclusion. And it’s always tedious and boring for everyone involved. But for some reason, I see DMs play encounters out to their end anyway more often than not. The first time I heard another DM say, “and, you finish off the rest of the stragglers” and just end a combat then and there, it was a revelation. I remember thinking, “wait, you can just DO that?!”

Dice rolls are tools for resolving actions, not actions in and of themselves. Probably a bit of a controversial one, but this one significantly improved my games. If it doesn’t work for you, that’s ok, but it definitely does for me. I used to struggle a lot with little things like how to deal with dice rolls failing when failure doesn’t cause complications and there’s no time constraint. Do I allow another attempt? Do I disallow it even though the player knows the result of their die roll was low? Do I always make such rolls in secret? But these things are only problems if I think of the dice roll as an action. Once I learned to think of the action as what the character is doing in-universe, and the dice roll as a tool to use to determine the outcome of that action when necessary, the problem went away. I realized the answer was simple: such an action wouldn’t require a roll at all. If there is no pressure, the character simply keeps at it until they succeed.

Never tell a player what their character thinks or feels. It sucks to roll a 1 in an Insight check (or at my table, see a natural 20 on an NPC’s Charisma check) and be told you believe what an NPC tells you, especially when what they’re saying is difficult to believe in real life. Instead, my philosophy is, “I’ll tell you if you know for certain that an NPC is lying. Otherwise, it’s up to you if your character believes it or not.” Just as one example.

Don’t sweat “metagaming.” Don’t. Just don’t.

S'mon

Legend
Never tell a player what their character thinks or feels. It sucks to roll a 1 in an Insight check (or at my table, see a natural 20 on an NPC’s Charisma check) and be told you believe what an NPC tells you, especially when what they’re saying is difficult to believe in real life. Instead, my philosophy is, “I’ll tell you if you know for certain that an NPC is lying. Otherwise, it’s up to you if your character believes it or not.” Just as one example.

I agree, but there is a specific case where the player knows the NPC is lying due to metagame knowledge (eg player heard an earlier conversation), but the PC does not know (PC was not there). In that case I may use Insight v Deception and have the PC bound by the result.

Don't ask your players to make pointless rolls

I used to constantly let my players check for traps in hallways where there are no traps, or have them make perception checks when there was nothing to perceive, as a bandaid so that they wouldn't know when they are in actual danger. I am so glad I stopped doing this. I just straight up tell my players the outcome of their action, without a roll required.

Foreshadow traps - no gotcha

Gotcha traps are lame. I am happy to no longer be using the gotcha trap, and instead foreshadow the presence of a trap to the players. The surprise element has been replaced by meaningful outcomes to success and failure by the players.

Make your players feel safe and unsafe

I've come to realize the importance of having your players feel safe and unsafe in specific situations. I don't want my players to always feel unsafe. Sometimes the players are in a safe environment, and they should not feel like there is a cutthroat on every corner, or that they need to make their characters sleep in their armor. By clearly shifting the tone of the scene between safe and unsafe, this makes the areas that are unsafe have more impact. This is also true of npc's. Some npc's should feel completely trustworthy. It is good for your players to also meet trustworthy allies.

Spotlight management

It is so important to keep an eye on all of your players, and to shift the spotlight before someone starts to lose interest.

Room descriptions

A lot of commercial campaigns have a tendency to teach bad DM behavior, specifically in regards to room descriptions. There is only so much information the players can take in once you start talking. I want my players to have a clear picture of the lay out of the room, and where all the doors are. But when you cram your room description full of minor details, the important stuff is lost in the pile of information you're feeding them. These days I serve my players bite-sized bits of info. I start with the basics: roomsize, overal look, doors, furniture. Then once the players further explore the room, I dive into details. It is also important to describe the room from the direction the players are entering it. So rather than saying a room has a door to the east, I now say that there's a door on the other side of the room, straight across from where they entered. Because the players have no idea where 'east' is, nor from which direction they are entering. That sort of stuff only makes sense if you are looking at the map of the dungeon.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I prep less and we play more. Like a good lecture, having a few tricks in the bag can help but the real art is knowing what not to prepare/saving time by not overpeparing.

I also use a tried and tested teaching technique of having one or more 'go to' players that can read up or call out on certain rules or spells. Means I can focus on say, the bigger picture and all works together to keep the pace.

delericho

Legend
Funnily enough, I've just started a process of going through a lot of the paperwork I've generated from old campaigns, including a lot of stuff I hand-wrote when I was a teen. It's being scanned and stored electronically, and then the hard-copies disposed of to make room. But looking at all that stuff has been a bit of an eye-opener!

I think possibly the biggest shock has been the sheer amount of time, and the number of pages, I've wasted on trying to find exactly the right set of house rules for the game - even going so far, on more than one occasion, as trying to rewrite the entire game from scratch to better suit. Invariably, each attempt got a certain distance in before I either got bored or drifted off, or had a better idea part way through that necessitated huge rewrites.

The one time I did complete one of these projects, I almost immediately decided I didn't really care for the result and promptly went back to the real game.

Then again, I'm not convinced that counts as improvement - the main thing that stops me from trying to massively house-rule 5e is a lack of time.

I started to follow unwritten rules for good DMing based on discussions in the old WotC forum and later on this forum.

Some which I remember right now:
- Never hide rolls
- Never lie to your players
- Reward creative ideas
- If you feel some player is not having fun, talk with him
- Never make PCs do anything the player didn't state
- Give full XP also for encounters that have been resolved without combat
- Try to narrate things in a more subtle way (e.g. instead of "You find a trap" -> "You notice some holes in the wall")
- If you get a new group/player, always make it clear what kind of game you're running before even starting
- Do not allow actions that make you or your other players feel uncomfortable (e.g. torture)
- Do not allow offensive actions between PCs

Allowing Character Development!

One campaign session, the characters were just fooling around and not achieving anything at all in terms of strategic goals, but they did a TON of character development.
It was the most fun ever, with epic decisions and hilarious consequences, none of which were important to the original storyline that I wrote, but which became important that day.

I realized that crappy pulp books have flat characters that do not develop, but rich literature always (always, always!) has character development. Since that session, I listen much better to my players, to see what I can add to the story that allows their characters to develop or evolve better.

pogre

Legend
From the beginning, of course I am a much, much better DM. However, there was a point in my late 20s and early 30s I had so much more time to put into my campaign. It was a rich tapestry of homebrew goodness and I threw myself into every session. I just do not have the time to hit that level these days. I'm still a solid DM, but not as good as I was back then.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I agree, but there is a specific case where the player knows the NPC is lying due to metagame knowledge (eg player heard an earlier conversation), but the PC does not know (PC was not there). In that case I may use Insight v Deception and have the PC bound by the result.
That’d fall under the “don’t sweat metagaming” lesson. What’s the big deal if the player knows the NPC is lying due to information their character doesn’t have access to? It’s still reasonable within the fiction for the character to be suspicious, so what’s it to me that the player happens to have heard a conversation the character wasn’t there for?

Remove ads