How I'd fix Star Wars

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Or mind-controlling his autonomic system to prevent him from breathing.

Vader makes a gripping motion, and the man clutches at his throat. This is a movie - what we see is supposed to imply what is happening. Those visuals don't say, to me, "Autonomic body control", but you can choose to read it however you want.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Vader makes a gripping motion, and the man clutches at his throat. This is a movie - what we see is supposed to imply what is happening. Those visuals don't say, to me, "Autonomic body control", but you can choose to read it however you want.
There's a deleted scene that shows Vader sneaking a peanut into the officer's coffee, causing an allergic reaction that's closing off his wind pipe.

Things that are broken for me in Star Wars:

1. The good guys condone slavery (droids and clones).

2. The good guys condone taking children from their families and teaching them that any form of emotional connection leads to evil (the Jedi order).

3. Over-emphasis on family lineage as a key to heroism (Skywalker family).

I'm not holding out much hope of these being fixed in the near term, but maybe we'll get there.

Starting to reverse, undo, or progress this was one thing I liked about The Last Jedi. And I really like that. I loved the idea of "everyone can use The Force." Unfortunately, it was just about the only thing I liked about The Last Jedi. With my least favorite part being that the movie seemed to be trying to tell the audience that they're stupid for wanting to go to a Star Wars movie to see a fairy tale.

The original sin of the original trilogy was strictly adhering to the Hero's Journey and having a lot of two-dimensional characters.
The original sin of the prequel trilogy was excruciatingly, heartbreakingly poor dialogue.
The original sin of the sequel trilogy was excruciatingly, disastrously poor storytelling.

Clint_L

Hero
Yeah, Star Wars is weird because it has sci-fi tropes but Fantasy assumptions, and Western plot structures. So it winds up raising issues that should be super interesting and concerning, but then mostly hand-waves them (i.e. the whole AI slavery angle).

I would argue that Andor is the only Star Wars property that reads like actual sci-fi, in that it is primarily concerned with generating story from the implications of its milieu. Every other Star Wars show (and I say this as a passionate fan, from childhood) is really just wearing sci-fi drag.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, Star Wars is weird because it has sci-fi tropes but Fantasy assumptions, and Western plot structures. So it winds up raising issues that should be super interesting and concerning, but then mostly hand-waves them (i.e. the whole AI slavery angle).

I would argue that Andor is the only Star Wars property that reads like actual sci-fi, in that it is primarily concerned with generating story from the implications of its milieu. Every other Star Wars show (and I say this as a passionate fan, from childhood) is really just wearing sci-fi drag.
"Andor" is a "Nineteen Eighty-Four" among Spaghetti Westerns.

MGibster

Legend
Vader uses telekinetic powers (the infamous "Force choke") in Episode IV - the "I find your lack of faith disturbing..." scene.

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Umbran. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up a consensus on what the fandom wants, or given you clairvoyance enough to find a solution to the Midichlorian problem....<insert choking noises here>

MGibster

Legend
I remember someone arguing to me with a straight face that Chirrut from Rogue One wasn't a force user. No, the force used him, and that was totally different.

MarkB

Legend
I remember someone arguing to me with a straight face that Chirrut from Rogue One wasn't a force user. No, the force used him, and that was totally different.
He isn't a Force user. He can sense the Force, and sense things through it, but he can't use it to manipulate anything or anyone. No levitation, no choking, no Jedi mind tricks.

MGibster

Legend
He isn't a Force user. He can sense the Force, and sense things through it, but he can't use it to manipulate anything or anyone. No levitation, no choking, no Jedi mind tricks.
Remember that scene in the first Star Wars when Luke was in his X-Wing barrelling through the Death Star trench in order to deliver a payload that would destroy it? He heard Obi-Wan's voice telling him to "Use the Force," and Luke turned off his targeting system and followed his advice. He didn't levitate anything, choke anyone, or use any mind tricks, but he still used the force to sense things and make the shot.

Remove ads