How I'd fix Star Wars

Clint_L

Hero
IMO, Star Wars hasn't had a great movie since 1980. There hasn't been a film in the series where the ending wasn't a forgone conclusion since 1983.
Since 1999 it's been "filling in the gaps" of unnecessary and tired retreads.
Let's see Han Solo become Han Solo. Let's see Darth Vader and Boba Fett be little kids. Maybe we can see how the Rebels got the Death Star plans? Maybe we can watch a decade long animated series about unimportant battles between Episodes 2 and 3 that change nothing about the world or core characters?
I was a pretty big Star Wars fan until 1998. Ever since the prequels started coming out, the entire brand has become an embarrassment.
Gonna push back a little. Andor is sort of a prequel, but the central questions it is exploring are not dumb ones, like "How did Han Solo get his name?" but universally interesting ones, like "how does someone become a rebel, ready to kill or die for their cause?" or "why is bureaucracy ultimately more terrifying than a manically cackling Sith Lord?"

MGibster

Legend
onna push back a little. Andor is sort of a prequel, but the central questions it is exploring are not dumb ones, like "How did Han Solo get his name?" but universally interesting ones, like "how does someone become a rebel, ready to kill or die for their cause?" or "why is bureaucracy ultimately more terrifying than a manically cackling Sith Lord?"
Yeah, I'm in agreement here. My only problem with Andor is that it doesn't really feel like a Star Wars story. It was a little too serious and the Empire was less cartoony. But I forgive it because it's just so damned good. One of the most frightening scenes in the series was when the prisoners realize no matter how much they produce or how well they behave they're never going to be freed. That feels like something more sinister and real than any Death Star could be.

Clint_L

Hero
Plus that whole arc pays off in a post-credit reveal that actually enhances the story we just saw by adding another layer of horrible irony.

SPOILER:

My favourite scene is when Officer Meero, the totally buttoned-down Imperial, gets caught in the riot in the final episode and barely escapes with her life. As you see her facade crumble and eventually collapse into sheer, totally justified terror you also see the face of someone who will do anything to impose order and control on the world, and suddenly she makes complete sense. I buy her as someone capable of doing terrible evil in the cause of what she sees as a moral imperative far, far more than I buy Emperor Palpatine's brand of cartoonish supervillainy.

Yora

Legend
and then nothing happens because no one can agree unless THAT was your plan all along
I could live with that.

I effectively pretty much do live like that. The Jedi Knight games and KotOR are the only decent Star Wars things I remember from the last 25 years.

Daniel tells us that one of the series' first episodes will involve a group of bandits acquiring the capability of time travel, and using it to travel back in time to stop Darth Vader from ever existing.

---

Maybe the TTRPG is last opportunity to save the franchise, because you choose what is the canon. Here I suggest it was licenced to WotC again. And the fandom community could enjoy total freedom to add their own ideas.

What if the afterlife in SW was a reincarnation in other timeline? But those tainted by the dark force and criminal actions would sent to a distopian version, close to "Eternal Doom".

Other idea is getting some ideas from "Loki" about a "multiversal war". Heroes from different ages and alternate futures working together to protect their "multiversal alliance" against invaders from distopian timelines.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would move away from thecoriginal characters the actors have aged out if not died.

From the old EU inspiration as to what worked.

1. Time jumps back to old republic or 140 years later.

2. Rogue/Wraith squadron type books.

3. Other force traditions.

WotC won't get tg
He license back IMHO. Last time they had I they used rpg materials as an excuse to make minis (which was a toy license). They may have technically been right but they list the license once the ten years expired.

MarkB

Legend
Other idea is getting some ideas from "Loki" about a "multiversal war". Heroes from different ages and alternate futures working together to protect their "multiversal alliance" against invaders from distopian timelines.
Pleeease no. There have been a few decently clever things done with multiverse concepts recently, but we don't need every franchise to become a multiverse.

Yora

Legend
Well, Star Wars already has been for years.
There's the classic universe, the Marvel comic universe, the Clone Wars retcon universe, and the Disney universe. All have very different timelines that only match for three movies. (Or maybe even just one movie?)

Ryujin

Legend
Gonna push back a little. Andor is sort of a prequel, but the central questions it is exploring are not dumb ones, like "How did Han Solo get his name?" but universally interesting ones, like "how does someone become a rebel, ready to kill or die for their cause?" or "why is bureaucracy ultimately more terrifying than a manically cackling Sith Lord?"
Leaders are ephemeral. Bureaucracy is forever. That's what makes Vogons terrifying.

Remove ads