How Important is Magic to Dungeons and Dragons? - Third Edition vs Fourth Edition

nightwyrm

First Post
I don't think that's necessarily the case. You might only have 4 second level spell slots, but you'd also have 4 first level spell slots, third level spell slots, etc, etc, etc.

There are only so many "rounds" of action in a given day (I use "rounds" here in a subjective sense to refer to instances where a spell might be useful). As the number of spell slots exceeds the number of rounds (which happens quickly when combat happens only once or twice per day and lasts only a round or two), the only REAL balancing factor is the potential for the wizard's player to guess wrong when he prepares his spells. And as the number of spells increases, the likelihood of guessing wrong goes down because you can cover more bases.

Another thing is that in pre-3e, wizards have a limited number of spells known per level. Once a wizard has learned a spell, he can't unlearn it and it counts towards his limit.

Pre-3e, the wizard doesn't want to learn knock coz he'd much rather be able to learn something else.

Kask

First Post
Another thing is that in pre-3e, wizards have a limited number of spells known per level. Once a wizard has learned a spell, he can't unlearn it and it counts towards his limit.

No. There was no such limit per the PHB. Did you play with a DM who made a house rule?

13garth13

First Post
Actually, I'm pretty darned sure (though IDHTBIFOM) that wizards were indeed limited in terms of total spells known per level, and that this number was based upon intelligence (certainly not a house rule). But my memory isn't what it used to be :p

Cheers,
Colin

Kask

First Post
Actually, I'm pretty darned sure (though IDHTBIFOM) that wizards were indeed limited in terms of total spells known per level, and that this number was based upon intelligence (certainly not a house rule). But my memory isn't what it used to be :p

Cheers,
Colin

Edit. You are correct. It was the int table max spells known. 18 int was 18. 19 int was "All".

Last edited:

nightwyrm

First Post
No. There was no such limit per the PHB. Did you play with a DM who made a house rule?

2nd ed AD&D PHB on the intelligence chart. Unless you have 19 int, you have a max # of spells per level. Don't know about earlier editions since I don't have those books.

Of course, it was an "optional rule" in 2ed, but at least half of 2ed was optional rules so calling it a houserule is kinda meaningless.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Cheers,
Colin

And you are right. There IS a limit to the number of spells per level a wizard can learn in 1e and 2e AD&D. If the magic user had a 19 Intelligence, then there was no limit (and, frankly, that 19 Intelligence, over the course of a campaign, wasn't that hard to get).

nightwyrm

First Post
And you are right. There IS a limit to the number of spells per level a wizard can learn in 1e and 2e AD&D. If the magic user had a 19 Intelligence, then there was no limit (and, frankly, that 19 Intelligence, over the course of a campaign, wasn't that hard to get).

Aren't stat boosts much hard to get back in those days? And 3d6 was pretty much the standard rolling method back then.

Kask

First Post
2nd ed AD&D PHB on the intelligence chart. Unless you have 19 int, you have a max # of spells per level. Don't know about earlier editions since I don't have those books.

Of course, it was an "optional rule" in 2ed, but at least half of 2ed was optional rules so calling it a houserule is kinda meaningless.

See my post right above. 18 per level for an 18 int. There were 30 1st level spells, 24 per level up to 6th & 16 for 7th & 8th. There were only 12 9th level spells. So, overall it wasn't that big a deal unless you were running a low int MU.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
How Important is Magic to Dungeons and Dragons?

The right kinds and amount of magic are an individual thing for RPGers, perhaps, but magic being commonplace in the setting has never been something I personally felt comfortable having in games I have either run or in which I have played.

Remove ads