• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How is Baba Yaga pronounced?

am181d

Adventurer
In a recent campaign, there were four ancient witches in the world, each more hideous and creepy than the last, and they were named:

Yaba Baga
Gaba Yaya
Gaga Baya

and... well... the fourth one never really came into it.

Ulrick

First Post
You say beh-beh yeh-gey, I say Bah-bah yah-gah
I say bah-bah yah-gah, you beh-beh yeh-gey
beh-beh yeh-gey, bah-bah yah-gah
bah-bah yah-gah, beh-beh yeh-gey
let's call the whole thing off.

you say droh, I say drow...

;)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Yeah, yeah...I know, I'm quoting myself.:confused:

My wife is a Hospice Nurse who was treating a Russian speaking patient for the last few days. She asked the patients parents how to pronounce this (as a tension reliever...normal everyday conversation can significantly help relaxe families dealing with a hospice situation). The patient's parents are primarily Russian speaking (rough English), and they pronounced Baba Yaga the same as Ksenia Solo in the below clip.

Confirmation Complete.:cool:

Yeah, Ksenia Solo (who plays Kenzi on Lost Girl) pronounces it like that also. She's originally Latvian, though raised in Canada, but she does speak Russian on the show occasionally (I don't know if her family was predominantly Russian speaking or Latvian speaking...).

Here's how she pronounced it during an episode of Lost Girl:

Lost Girl - Mirror, Mirror - Clip - YouTube

:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads