• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How keen is too keen?

ryushima2011

First Post
I think you could have a public meeting with this guy first and see how it goes, but if after that you think this person is not a good fit for the group, then don't be afraid to say that!

There must be something wrong with my browser as the emails aren't showing up on my screen...

It's the dude's game and he has no obligation to anyone to allow them to play in his game.

Janx

Hero
I think you could have a public meeting with this guy first and see how it goes, but if after that you think this person is not a good fit for the group, then don't be afraid to say that!

a) it's already done.

b) why bother? if a person gives you a wierd vibe, why subject yourself to giving them a chance to find out that you were right. There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet. You can be choosy.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Wierd Vibe = No thanks
Those of us in the thirty plus crowd generally have kids/families to consider.
Wierd vibes would put me off too.

But also for me, I make my living by being available to my job via email or phone. So in a 12hour period I would probably have wierded him out with multiple question replies back to him. :D

Each of us function on a different wavelength.
I'm sure there are some days I've driven DM's crazy with emails.
One I'm currently in has a forum setup for us. He always knows when I have a slow day at the office because I'll have like 50 posts that day for thim to read lader.

ryushima2011

First Post
a) it's already done.

b) why bother? if a person gives you a wierd vibe, why subject yourself to giving them a chance to find out that you were right. There are nearly 7 billion people on the planet. You can be choosy.

-------

I understand, but we are human beings and we could be wrong, and there's no harm in trying, so it's better to give him the benefit of the doubt and check out if we were right or not!

Janx

Hero
a) it's already done.

-------

I understand, but we are human beings and we could be wrong, and there's no harm in trying, so it's better to give him the benefit of the doubt and check out if we were right or not!

the kid already failed the minimal qualifications and email test. There was no need to dig deeper unless kzach was short of qualified candidates.

If you don't stick to your standards, you don't have standards.

Living Legend

First Post
Oh there's an interview process. I should edit that into the OP. This is an online advertisement and any replies I get I set up a meet & greet at a gaming store with gaming tables.

This dude has access to a gaming store, so he can meet other people to game with, I wouldn't worry about it. My small town has no gaming store, and the nearest one is about 40 minutes away, so I might feel different in your situation. But this guy as plenty of resources at his disposal to meet other gamers, so it doesn't have to be your burden.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'm sure there are some days I've driven DM's crazy with emails.

Oh I wouldn't have minded that and, in fact, encourage it. When I'm in a long-term group, I usually end up being the one to make a forum especially for the group and actively encourage players to discuss things. I'm even disappointed when they DON'T.

But this wasn't a discussion or back'n'forth. This was a, "OMG CAN I PLAY WID U I WANNA PLAY SO DESPRAYT PLZ LET ME PLAY I DO ANYTHING 2 PLAY!!!!!!" kinda thing.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Oh I wouldn't have minded that and, in fact, encourage it. When I'm in a long-term group, I usually end up being the one to make a forum especially for the group and actively encourage players to discuss things. I'm even disappointed when they DON'T.

But this wasn't a discussion or back'n'forth. This was a, "OMG CAN I PLAY WID U I WANNA PLAY SO DESPRAYT PLZ LET ME PLAY I DO ANYTHING 2 PLAY!!!!!!" kinda thing.

You would love our SW SE game than.
We use the forum to help advance plot usually. The game night itself is mainly for the combats or heavy player interaction stuff.

Course we write a lot of extra stuff in.
In a thread I just made a post to about 10 minutes ago, it's all background noise doesn't add a lot to the plot only to character development. Of the 40 posts in the thread currently, only 4 of them are basic comments and not story written.
We have a lot of threads like that.

Not all are good, but most are fun.

Remove ads