• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Long Can A Bard Sing For?

Aluvial

Explorer
By the looks of the rules, there is no specification of how long a bard can sing to say, Inspire Courage.

SRD said:
Starting a bardic music effect is a standard action. Some bardic music abilities require concentration, which means the bard must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using bardic music that doesn’t require concentration, a bard cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), or activate magic items by magic word (such as wands). Just as for casting a spell with a verbal component, a deaf bard has a 20% chance to fail when attempting to use bardic music. If he fails, the attempt still counts against his daily limit.
Is there a limit to the amount of time a bard can sing, or can they do so indefinitely?

Right now, my bard is singing between encounters to maintain the effect... I ruled last time that his throat would eventually go dry, but how long is that, an hour, less?

Aluvial

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Aluvial said:
Is there a limit to the amount of time a bard can sing, or can they do so indefinitely?

Right now, my bard is singing between encounters to maintain the effect... I ruled last time that his throat would eventually go dry, but how long is that, an hour, less?
RAW: the rules do not say either way, so it's the GM's call.

IMHO: limiting Bardic Music to a "per encounter" duration makes sense.

"Realistically": look at how long musicians usually can go for without taking a break. A long "set" might be 30 minutes, and even then they're taking a few rounds to breathe between individual songs.

Cheers, -- N

Aluvial

Explorer
Arrgh, I need a good answer for this one.... For years, I've DM'd and never the bard.... I
think I may make him sing for the whole time he really wants to sing for.....

ha ha

Aluvial

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I would adapt the forced march rules.

Probably something like:

"Extended Singing: Sing for 1 minute plus 1 minute per Con point. Thereafter for each minute of singing beyond that initial period of time, a Constitution check (DC 10, +2 per extra minute) is required. If the check fails, the character takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. A character who takes any nonlethal damage from extended signing becomes fatigued. Eliminating the nonlethal damage also eliminates the fatigue. It’s possible for a character to sing into unconsciousness by pushing himself too hard."

Aluvial

Explorer
Let's not forget the filibuster. Strom Thurmand of SC holds the record at 24 hours, 18 minutes against the Civil Rights Act of 1957....

I don't want my bard doing that, but I would think that about an hour seems about right... still a VERY long time considering encounters in DnD.

Aluvial

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads