• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How long for Wizards to learn new spells?

mvincent

Explorer
Angel of Adventure said:
How long does it take a wizard to scribe/learn a spell into his spellbook?
2 days:

Learning/understanding a new spell: 1 day (and a spellcraft check)
Scribing it into your spellbook: "24 hours, regardless of the spell’s level"

rules here

mvincent

Explorer
mr_outsidevoice said:
In 3.5, it is one day per spell aside from ones you learn when you level.
I have never seen that. It does require one page in your spellbook per level... were you possibly thinking of that?

Edit: nevermind: I misread mr_outsidevoice's answer as saying the same thing as the post above it (i.e. 1 day per spell level).

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_outsidevoice
In 3.5, it is one day per spell aside from ones you learn when you level.

mvincent said:
I have never seen that. It does require one page in your spellbook per level... were you possibly thinking of that?

PHB pg 179 "Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook" {Also in the SRD}

"Time: The process takes 24 hours, regardless of the spell's level."

later in the same section:

"Note that a wizard does not have to pay these costs in time or gold for the spells she gains for free at each new level. "

Thurbane

First Post
The SRD (and the Rules Compendium), are both pretty ambiguous as to whether it is 8 hours or a day to learn the spell. The rules on scribing it and the free "spells gained each level" are fairly clear.

SRD(Spellcraft Skill) said:
Learn a spell from a spellbook or scroll (wizard only). No retry for that spell until you gain at least 1 rank in Spellcraft (even if you find another source to try to learn the spell from). Requires 8 hours.
SRD(Arcane Magical Writings) said:
Spells Copied from Another’s Spellbook or a Scroll: A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook. No matter what the spell’s source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Next, she must spend a day studying the spell. At the end of the day, she must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level).
SRD(Arcane Magical Writings) said:
Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook

Once a wizard understands a new spell, she can record it into her spellbook.

Time: The process takes 24 hours, regardless of the spell’s level.

Space in the Spellbook: A spell takes up one page of the spellbook per spell level. Even a 0-level spell (cantrip) takes one page. A spellbook has one hundred pages.

Materials and Costs: Materials for writing the spell cost 100 gp per page.

Note that a wizard does not have to pay these costs in time or gold for the spells she gains for free at each new level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads