• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How long have you been a DM?

How long have you been a DM?

• Less than 1 year.

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 1-3 years

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • 5-7 years

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • 7-10 years

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • 10-15 years

Votes: 56 13.7%
  • 15 + years

Votes: 265 64.8%

Wow, there really are a lot of long-time veterans out there.

I first GM'ed in 1997 (GM'ed before I even played), starting with the old SWRPG. A starting one-shot that later developed into a campaign that lasted a year and a half.

As for DM'ing D&D proper, I first did that in 2000 (2e AD&D, then later 3e).

As for skill, I know I started out pretty rough, but I've recieved a fair amount of compliments from my players about my skill. I'm a little mechanistic and rules-heavy at times, but I think I'm certainly a fair DM.

catsclaw227

First Post
Odhanan said:
17 years, and yes, I'm good at what I do (this excludes the occasional bad session which may happen to anyone).

Same for me, GMing for about 23 years. And I prefer GMing to playing, my experience being about a 80%/20% ratio.

Wait --- let me redo the math. Got my first AD&D DM Guide in 1979 (Efreeti cover -- no more binding, still have it), didn't get to use it until 1980, so that makes it about 25 years.

Last edited:

Gahnomen

First Post
I voted 3-5 years and was surprised to see that I'm overwhelmingly outnumbered by the veterans. Not that I'm complaining though, more experience means (in general) that helpful advice can be offered. Which is exactly why I'm here :D

I do consider myself a good DM, but I have gone into detail in the other thread and won't do so again here.

Agback

Explorer
freebfrost said:
So, how long have you been a DM, and do you consider yourself "good" at what you do?

My first outing as a DM ws in 1981. Then, I was lousy.

Now I'm pretty good. But not as good as I was from about 1986 to 1990. Then I had less experience, but I got more practice.

Ant

First Post
16 or so years DMing.

I believe I've consistantly been a good DM for my players (let's just not mention the "But I thought you wanted die?" incident nor the market guards with their uncanny ability to detect young mages, ok?).

What surprises me is how my style of DMing has changed ... I've gone from winging entire campaigns and fudging many a dice roll to much more structured campaigns and a more "let the dice fall as they may" attitude.

qstor

Adventurer
freebfrost said:
So, how long have you been a DM, and do you consider yourself "good" at what you do?

I've been a DM since 1e.

I think I'm pretty good at ad libbing. I'd like to have a longer running "home" game stick together. Mostly for the last 4 years I've been DMing RPGA Living Greyhawk stuff. My home game feel apart because of player schedules.

Mike

Lord Random

First Post
DMing since 1978 and still going (almost) as strong. Thought Ide have lost interest as ages ticked on but no, up to 3.5 edition now with a shedload of house rules...and my players dont complain ;)

Tinner

First Post
I started in 1979 at the tender age of nine.
I wasn't all that great, but then, my audience wasn't quite as discriminating.
Since then, I have improved greatly. :D

MonsterMash

First Post
I went with 5-7 years which is actual time DMing, but if I just went on elapsed time since I first DMed it'd be over 20 years. I had a long break from gaming.

Remove ads