• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How long have you been a DM?

How long have you been a DM?

• Less than 1 year.

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 1-3 years

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • 5-7 years

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • 7-10 years

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • 10-15 years

Votes: 56 13.7%
  • 15 + years

Votes: 265 64.8%

Templetroll

Explorer
I started playing in 79, in March, I think, and first DMed in the fall. The majority of the group I was in had their own worlds. It was really cool and creative and made it easy to get someone to run. Some were good, some were bad but we had fun in all. When I'm good, I'm very good and when I'm bad I should have my dice taken away from me. Luckily, I've been good more often. ;)

ArgentGryphon

First Post
I only started (RPG) gaming ten years ago. Previously, I had ony done tactical or miniatures. I started GMing after D&D 3E came out. My gaming group said they would be willing to play the new rules, but our DM said I would have to run the games so he could play. Now it seems I never get a chance to play, since I'm the one always GM'ing.

Altalazar

First Post
My first DMing job was 25 or so years ago, but it wasn't steady and it wasn't serious until probably 16 years ago. Wow, has it been that long?

But its not the quantity, its the quality.

Uller

Adventurer
There are many 'old ones' here...watching...waiting...you're poll shows your puny mortal mind can't even fathom how long we've been DMing (23 years for me!). Submit to our will so that you may gain XP.

haiiro

First Post
17 years and counting. :)

I have strengths and weaknesses, but one of the keys to my continued enjoyment of GMing has been that I've never stopped learning how to be a better GM. Sounds corny, but it works. ;)

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
31 years.

But I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it now... :heh:

By the way, I literally had to carve my own dice back in 1974. There wasn't anywhere to find polyhedra dice around here then.

/Mikael

tetsujin28

First Post
"15+" barely even covers it! And I'm not quite in the same league as Diaglo, who started in '74, AFAIK. I started seriously GMing in '77, 'though I was introduced to the game in '76.

nopantsyet

First Post
In strict years between earliest and latest sessions? That would put me at something like 24 years, which would make me sound a lot more experienced than I really am. I ran no more than a dozen adventures between '81 and 95, then didn't game again until 3E came out in 2000. At t that time I started DMing for real, so I would put myself at more like 5 years.

I consider myself to be just reaching the point where I realize how much I still have to learn as a DM. But I haven't had a problem keeping a full table in those 5 years, so probably in another 5 years I'll be pretty good.

:npy:

Remove ads