• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How long have you been a DM?

How long have you been a DM?

• Less than 1 year.

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 1-3 years

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • 5-7 years

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • 7-10 years

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • 10-15 years

Votes: 56 13.7%
  • 15 + years

Votes: 265 64.8%

Sanackranib

First Post
I guess im one of the old timers as well i started in 1980. I never had to carve my own dice though . . . boy that really hardcore. by the time I started the Gamekeeper in my local mall had what I needed.

Gothic_Demon

First Post
I started DMing way back in '89, and I can't remember a single year go by when I wasn't DMing a regular campaign. I still play regular with one guy who also started out as one of my players in '89 (gaming together 16 years!), and now I game twice a week with two different groups, DMing part-time in one and full-time in the other. I'm a solid to good DM, and people generally don't complain about my decisions and they enjoy my adventures.

Shayd3000

First Post
Been GMing 27+ years, give or take a little. Used to cross Picket lines to buy my D&D stuff. Bought Traveller when it first came out in the little black box. We used to use some rules out of Chainmail for combats. I remember when the DM's Guide was new....

George

Played Red Box Basic D&D (badly) sometime in the early 80s. Did traditional juvenile Montey Haul AD&D for a while, switched to RuneQuest and then Shadowrun as the first smatterings of maturity showed up.

Started running my first proper campaign in 1991 with 2e which lasted until about 1994 and is the local equivalent of "The Rod of the Seven Parts" since I know of at least 2 GMs reusing the material right now. The game was more beer & pretzels than serious plots but it was chock full of character development.

Ran Cyberpunk, Mage and Deadlands with various levels of interest and success. Nothing lasted for more than 2 years and most died off within a few months.

Came back to D&D with 3e and have had my 3.0 campaign running for almost 5 years now. I've run one-shots in SR3/4, Earthdawn, Vampire, and Werewolf during holidays and when the normal group couldn't meet.

I'm pretty proud of my D&D games and satisfied with Mage. I'm spotty with other systems and tend to burn out quickly with anything other than fantasy. As a player I'm far more tactical than most of the people I game with but in many cases I turn into the rules lawyer when DMs are inconsistent about mechanics in games without much RP. In other words, if I'm not completely involved in the character, you better get your rules right.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I started gaming in September of 1985. Began DMing in January of 1986.

I think I'm really good at weaving story lines together to make a larger over arching plot for the players. I'm also really good at winging my adventures while making it look like I planned everything all along. The key is paying attention to the players and making sure they feel like they have an important place in the campaign.

Roadkill101

Explorer
21 years as a GM, having started (seriously attempting to) in 1984.
As to wether or not I'm any good, I couldn't say. However, I've got two friends I've been gaming with since 1991 (compared to other players who've come and gone) where we all take turns running seperate campaigns and have always had fun.

Barak

First Post
Only 3-4 years DMing, even though I've played for at least 15 years before that. Thing is, I'm only a "decent" DM. And I don't really like it that much. I'd much rather play. But since I moved, with my new group, there's only one other "decent" DM. The others.. Well, you know. And the other decent DM hates it even more than I do.

Remove ads