how long takes to travel 100 miles?

rossik

Explorer
yeah, this is really a silly question, but i have no idea about that..

how many days would take to travel 100 miles:
by foot,
by horse,

in a clear road
in the plains
and in some "radical" location, as snow or desert.

the map shows that 5cm in the scale is = 100miles

im trying to imagine, but i hav eno idea how miles "works" (its not used here :) )

IcyCool

First Post
The PHB has movement and travel times for various modes of transport. It includes walking, riding a horse, and other means. I believe it also talks about movement through various conditions, though that might be in the DMG.

On foot: An experienced hiker with a very light load can hike about 20 miles a day, on optimal conditions. Beginning hikers or those with heavier loads i.e. encumbered are looking at 8-10 miles a day. Experienced hikers with heavier loads can do 10-15 miles a day, again in optimal conditions (good trail conditions, favorable weather, summer daylight hours, minimum of river crossings).

mmadsen

First Post
rossik said:
im trying to imagine, but i hav eno idea how miles "works" (its not used here :) )
One mile is one thousand left-right steps (e.g. count to one thousand every time your right foot steps), and is about 1.6 kilometers.

hafrogman

Adventurer
There's a table in the PHB that breaks it all down for you
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm

But basically, 1 mile = 5280 ft ~ 1.6 km

It all depends on movement rates, but if you have any halflings, gnomes, dwarves or anyone of medium encumberance, you're probably looking at 20 ft.

So, 100 miles in 6-7 days on a road
Over trackless plains 8-9 days
Over trackless desert 12-13 days

About half those times if on riding horses, heavier horses would be somewhere in between.

edit: damn, took me too long to type all this out, beaten to everything.

rossik

Explorer
Felix said:
I rowed 10 miles this morning in an hour and a half. Wouldn't be going by water, would you?

damn, just forgot about....well, my players cant pay for..so they have to go by boot!

hafrogman said:
There's a table in the PHB that breaks it all down for you
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm

But basically, 1 mile = 5280 ft ~ 1.6 km

It all depends on movement rates, but if you have any halflings, gnomes, dwarves or anyone of medium encumberance, you're probably looking at 20 ft.

So, 100 miles in 6-7 days on a road
Over trackless plains 8-9 days
Over trackless desert 12-13 days

About half those times if on riding horses, heavier horses would be somewhere in between.

edit: damn, took me too long to type all this out, beaten to everything.

i was just reading the ink u post, and i wonder whats the diference betwen a road and a highway..i suppose a highway is better to travel, right?

Last edited:

Clueless

Webmonkey
Aye. A highway would have smoother surfaces, cobblestone or pounded gravel which tend to be easier on the hoof and foot, with rest stops and a sense of security vs. a road which may be that winding, potholed, rocky and muddy road that goes off into the deep dark woods.

Remove ads