• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how long takes to travel 100 miles?

rossik

Explorer
yeah, this is really a silly question, but i have no idea about that..

how many days would take to travel 100 miles:
by foot,
by horse,

in a clear road
in the plains
and in some "radical" location, as snow or desert.

the map shows that 5cm in the scale is = 100miles

im trying to imagine, but i hav eno idea how miles "works" (its not used here :) )

IcyCool

First Post
The PHB has movement and travel times for various modes of transport. It includes walking, riding a horse, and other means. I believe it also talks about movement through various conditions, though that might be in the DMG.

On foot: An experienced hiker with a very light load can hike about 20 miles a day, on optimal conditions. Beginning hikers or those with heavier loads i.e. encumbered are looking at 8-10 miles a day. Experienced hikers with heavier loads can do 10-15 miles a day, again in optimal conditions (good trail conditions, favorable weather, summer daylight hours, minimum of river crossings).

mmadsen

First Post
rossik said:
im trying to imagine, but i hav eno idea how miles "works" (its not used here :) )
One mile is one thousand left-right steps (e.g. count to one thousand every time your right foot steps), and is about 1.6 kilometers.

hafrogman

Adventurer
There's a table in the PHB that breaks it all down for you
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm

But basically, 1 mile = 5280 ft ~ 1.6 km

It all depends on movement rates, but if you have any halflings, gnomes, dwarves or anyone of medium encumberance, you're probably looking at 20 ft.

So, 100 miles in 6-7 days on a road
Over trackless plains 8-9 days
Over trackless desert 12-13 days

About half those times if on riding horses, heavier horses would be somewhere in between.

edit: damn, took me too long to type all this out, beaten to everything.

rossik

Explorer
Felix said:
I rowed 10 miles this morning in an hour and a half. Wouldn't be going by water, would you?

damn, just forgot about....well, my players cant pay for..so they have to go by boot!

hafrogman said:
There's a table in the PHB that breaks it all down for you
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm

But basically, 1 mile = 5280 ft ~ 1.6 km

It all depends on movement rates, but if you have any halflings, gnomes, dwarves or anyone of medium encumberance, you're probably looking at 20 ft.

So, 100 miles in 6-7 days on a road
Over trackless plains 8-9 days
Over trackless desert 12-13 days

About half those times if on riding horses, heavier horses would be somewhere in between.

edit: damn, took me too long to type all this out, beaten to everything.

i was just reading the ink u post, and i wonder whats the diference betwen a road and a highway..i suppose a highway is better to travel, right?

Last edited:

Clueless

Webmonkey
Aye. A highway would have smoother surfaces, cobblestone or pounded gravel which tend to be easier on the hoof and foot, with rest stops and a sense of security vs. a road which may be that winding, potholed, rocky and muddy road that goes off into the deep dark woods.

Remove ads