How Long to Hear Back about an Article Submission

And might I add, that around the same time as I submitted "Throne of Iuz", I had submitted about four other ideas. The only one selected was "Throne." The others got a polite "no thank you."

The_Universe

First Post
The only idea selected, or the only one of four completed articles/adventures selected?

This is interesting stuff!

Congrats - loved the adventure!

The only idea selected. I would highly reccommend you not write your adventure until it gets a "go-ahead" from an editor.
If you like your idea and it gets rejected, you can do two things: 1) Shop it around to another publisher or 2) Wait until a new editor comes on board and submit it again.

+++ ADDITION +++
And as a third, I suppose you could rewrite your idea and submit it again.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
Mighty Halfling said:
The only idea selected. I would highly reccommend you not write your adventure until it gets a "go-ahead" from an editor.
If you like your idea and it gets rejected, you can do two things: 1) Shop it around to another publisher or 2) Wait until a new editor comes on board and submit it again.

+++ ADDITION +++
And as a third, I suppose you could rewrite your idea and submit it again.
Thanks for the advice! ;)

I've already been through the idea selection process - sent in 3 queries, got the "go-ahead" for two of them. Got a deadline, wrote the articles, sent them in before the deadline...and now I happily and excitedly wait.

carolina

First Post
Mighty Halfling

Just wanted you to know ... Racing the Snake was a GREAT adventure. Our group had a ball with that one. So, it was well worth the wait.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i guess i will send a note near the end of the month, asking if my ideas are still being considered. and if it can take a whole year to get something finished and published... well, i guess i should be patient then. :)

LondonReign

First Post
Yup, it took me most of a year as well, with it going through 3 editors and 2 editions.

Lessons learned:
1) Follow up with polite inquires if you hear nothing after 6 or 8 weeks
2) Don't tackle a 15,000 project right off the bat
3) Be kind to your editors--they're your friend! :)

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
I wondered where the heck you went off to, Mr. Universe. Glad to hear you're still churning out some D&D goodiness.

I've got a couple experiences with the Long Wait.

Necromancer Games - Sent proposal, nothing. Sent pimp, nothing. Sent pimp #2, got the go-ahead to write a module.

Different Worlds Publications - They were very good. Once they approved the concept of the sourcebook, I didn't hear from them until I turned in a final draft by the deadline. Complete freedom - which can be good, or bad, depending on your personality.

Bad Axe Games - Very involved, very helpful, and refreshingly open. Responses vary from 1-3 days between submitted ideas/proposals and receiving their take on them. Quick turnaround on contractual stuff.

Wizards of the Coast- Um...heck, sent in my War Torn novel package a handful of months ago and nothing but "Cricket, cricket" since then. S'pose that's what happens for 43,001 other folks send in submissions within the same window. :)

[hijack]
Mighty Halfling - Throne of Iuz is one of my Top 10 Dungeon adventures, and I've been subscribing/reading them since issue #2. Great job!
[/hijack]

Nite,
D

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Dragon and Dungeon are always really swamped, and they take queries and articles in batches as far as I can tell. You might get lucky and hit the day before they go to Pizza Hut and go over ideas, or you might hit the day after and have to wait 2 months before queries are even looked at. Once you send in the article, I'd give them 3 months before sending a followup, and then every 3 months after that. I know it seems like a long time, but time flies when you're on a hectic production schedule!

Remove ads