How Long to Hear Back about an Article Submission

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Wil is probably right, although I suspect two months is probably a bit more like it (although perhaps not during the holiday season). For Dragon features and Dungeon backdrops and adventures, we definitely process the queries and submissions in batches, mostly when we can manage to find free time not directly involved in putting out that month's issues. For recurring features in Dragon and Campaign Workbook articles in Dungeon, the turnaround is generally faster, and the time between submission and publication can sometimes be only 3 or 4 months.

Dragon's Class Acts articles churn fastest, and are hence probably the easiest sales.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

Wycen

Explorer
My friend who wrote an article for Dragon said it took a year after he submitted the article for it to appear in print.

The_Universe

First Post
Erik Mona said:
Wil is probably right, although I suspect two months is probably a bit more like it (although perhaps not during the holiday season). For Dragon features and Dungeon backdrops and adventures, we definitely process the queries and submissions in batches, mostly when we can manage to find free time not directly involved in putting out that month's issues. For recurring features in Dragon and Campaign Workbook articles in Dungeon, the turnaround is generally faster, and the time between submission and publication can sometimes be only 3 or 4 months.

Dragon's Class Acts articles churn fastest, and are hence probably the easiest sales.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon
Thanks for stopping by!

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The follow-up letter is a good idea. Short, polite. etc. One of the first things I ever submitted to a company, I was pretty young and didn't want to tick them off so when I never heard back I just assumed they'd rejected it and got on with things. A little over a year later I get an apology letter from them. It seems that my as-yet-unopened submission fell behind some large chunk of furniture and they only found it when they changed the office around.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
the best thing to do is probably chill and try not to think about it too much. waiting, aye, can be a hard thing. read a book, maybe. :D

Remove ads