How Many 1st Level Fighters Should a 10th Level Fighter Beat?

How many 1st level fighters against 10th level one should be a fair fight?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 14 13.9%

Votes: 47 46.5%

Votes: 16 15.8%

Votes: 11 10.9%

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • More/not valid (please explain)

Votes: 10 9.9%

Hassassin

First Post
It seems people have very different expectations about what levels should mean, so here's a poll.

Take a 10th level fighter and N 1st level ones. Put them into a fair fight with no environmental effects. How large should N be for the odds to be 50% on the 10th level one dying?

TwinBahamut

First Post
100. Because the scene in the Berserk manga where the main hero earns the title "The 100 Man Slayer" is one of the moments I like to point to and say "THAT is a guy who just hit Paragon Tier".

Sammael

Adventurer
10. Keeps a semblance of realism, makes the game deadlier, ensures the math is easy (add opponent levels to figure out an appropriate challenge), and lowers the numbers for high level characters.

Dausuul

Legend
For reference, the target in 3E was 23-to-1 odds. The target in 4E is a little under 5-to-1.

(These numbers are based on the 3E CR system and the 4E XP system respectively.)

I favor something close to the 4E approach, myself.

nightwyrm

First Post
I voted 10. But I was thinking, should this ratio be consistent as you go up levels. ie. should lv15 vs lv5 or lv20 vs lv10 have the same ratio as lv10 vs lv1. Or should it be more/less?

Dausuul

Legend
I voted 10. But I was thinking, should this ratio be consistent as you go up levels. ie. should lv15 vs lv5 or lv20 vs lv10 have the same ratio as lv10 vs lv1. Or should it be more/less?

I would like to see a PC's personal power level hit a plateau around level 10 or 12. Much like the E6 system or AD&D post-name level, you'd keep gaining options and versatility but not raw power.

Remove ads