• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Beers per Gaming Session?

How many alcoholic drinks per PC on avg. are consumed in a typical session?

• None. We don't drink & game.

Votes: 166 54.8%
  • One.

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • Two.

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Three.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • Four.

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Five.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Six.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Seven or more. Who's counting?

Votes: 9 3.0%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
New Castle

You're not referring to Newqy Brown, are you? I'm hoping against hope here that "New Castle" means something other than "Newcastle Brown Ale" in the US. Or, as it is more commonly kown, the crappy beer that students drink because they can't afford anything else...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You don't have to get drunk for drinking to interfere with your ability to concentrate or take the game seriously.

That's an interesting point, and may well indictae very different styles of play. How "seriously" do you expect your game to be taken?

Certainly for myself and my friends, the operative word is "game", and it's a social activity the goal of which is simply that we all enjoy ourselves.

Sometimes that means we end up with a tense night of cliffhangers and heavy roleplaying; other times it means we all just act a bit silly. As long as we all enjoy ourselves, we consider the evening a success.

But the only metric we judge a game night on was "did we enjoy it?" Because, frankly that's the only reason we do it.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Seven players and two co-DMs. Four of the players don't really drink. The rest of us drink quite a bit, at least according to the metric from this thread.

I like beer. Guess I'm in the minority. :)

D

mathogre

First Post
I said None. In the 2 1/2 years I've been in our group, I think 3 or 4 beers total have been consumed. We play every other Friday night after work.

I don't ever recall anyone prohibiting alcohol at the game. We just don't usually do it. All but the host (most always the DM) must drive, some of us 30 or more miles. Frankly I rather enjoy a nice little blast down the highway after the game, usually a bit over the limit. ;) 'Nuf said.

During gaming, I simply like having a clear head, just as I do if I'm programming. For instance, if I'm going to write code at night even if it's recreational, I'll have little to no alcohol with dinner. A little alcohol affects the quality of my thinking. With D&D, I'm not around a table with a bunch of the guys. We're adventurers fighting monsters to the death. It's the most important thing in the world. Yeah, we joke, we eat, we drink water, soda, or coffee, but the gaming is deadly serious.

When I get home from a gaming night, I'll unwind with a spot of something - sake, bourbon, or scotch, savoring the adventure and looking forward to the next gaming session.

DeusExMachina

First Post
I like beer. Guess I'm in the minority. :)

Not necessarily. I voted for 0 beers during my game, but I do like my beer. Just really not during my D&D game, because it in general does not improve it.

Going out with friends, birthday parties, movie nights, post sport match relaxation, etc. Those are excellent moment for a beer... :D

DrunkonDuty

he/him
OK, so I drank regularly at the Black Horse on Rathbone Place for about 3 years (it was our after work pub.) How come I never saw no gaming going on? Come to think of it, where do find space for gaming? The Black Horse is normally packed out.

EDIT: just mock upset, lived 6 years in London and could really have done with a bit of hard core nerding. So a bit surprsied to hear about a game goingon in a pub I used to frequent.

Group of between six and eight people. Only two normally drink alcohol during games. The average is largely meaningless in this case.

The DM is the heaviest drinker in our group. Fortunately, I can DM to an acceptable level even whilst drunk.

Loonook

First Post
Depends on the game... personally I don't care if players show up drunk or otherwise... as long as they're still in the game. I used to have a player who enjoyed... certain 'game enhancers' who would play amazingly florid, lucid characters... of course one night his game enhancers got him in trouble and we lost him from the group :(.

Out of the games I've played in the last 4 years in-person I would say we would hit ~ 2-3 per person per session. A few lightweights, a few alcoholic gamers who were chill enough and in control of themselves to keep it under wraps, and an underaged guy who never bothered with the stuff.

I come from a family where we don't drink as a family anymore due to... issues... that a lot of family members have. Never personally had said issues, have worked in breweries and bartending for good sections of life. I like dealing with drunks and disorderlies during a tight-packed game... makes for some flavor.

Dizzy-staff fireballing was a hallmark of maging when I was coming up, why shouldn't it be now? We must stop taking ourselves so seriously... I love deep worlds, deep play, etc. but sometimes that player who cannot hold themselves and PKs a couple of his friendlies in a bout of alcohol-fueled rage or confusion... ahh, sweetness.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Remove ads