• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Beers per Gaming Session?

How many alcoholic drinks per PC on avg. are consumed in a typical session?

• None. We don't drink & game.

Votes: 166 54.8%
  • One.

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • Two.

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Three.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • Four.

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Five.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Six.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Seven or more. Who's counting?

Votes: 9 3.0%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Suntori make excellent scotch. They actually import peat from Scotland and use it to filter the water they use in the distilling process. At a very nice scotch tasting night I went to a couple of years ago I tried the Suntori and tried it again. And again. The only thing I had that night that was better was a gorgeous single malt from Ardbeg Distillery. (Lord of the Isles IIRC.) So, big thumbs up for Suntori.

[tangent]
Suntori is also known to have been a major client of Hajime Sorayama, who did many pieces of commercial art for them featuring, among other things, his famous "sexy robots."

Which, FWIW, were also featured on the covers of albums and in videos by Autograph (the 1980's band). Caveat- there is some debate over whether all of the "sexy robots" on the Autograph album covers were by Sorayama. Some definitely are, but not all are clearly attributed.[/tangent]

I said none because I don't drink. That's not true of the rest of the group, though. A beer or two each isn't unusual, unless they're at my place. Because I never have any beer on hand. They're certainly never getting drunk at game sessions, though. Just a beer or two.

Ander00

First Post
None, usually. I'm in the process of eliminating the leftovers from a party though, so about 3 per session currently.

cheers

WizarDru

Adventurer
Generally, none...though not always. I stock some Troegs and Omegang currently, and have a fondness for Belgian brews, personally. Chimay, in particularly, is my passion (Trappist monks) Guinness, naturally, is always a pleasure. Once in a while, I might imbibe Sake on a special occassion. But at most, I will have a single beer or a few drinks of sake. On rare occasions, we might take a shot of Glenfiddich or the wife might consume some concoction featuring Bailey's.

Of my group, only four drink. Of those four, only myself and another drink with any frequency (which is low). Beyond this, our games are traditionally late night on a Friday or a Saturday, when folks don't need something that can make them tired. Further, most of them drive anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes to attend the game.

Drinking just isn't something that generally happens during our games. Not due to any moral choice, but simply practical reasons.

Dragon Snack

First Post
We only have one curve-breaker now, who usually puts down 5-6 beers a session (usually good beers though). Plus a couple of drinks that 2 or 3 other players imbibe (we have a scotch drinker and a wine cooler drinker that occasionally tipple), it averages out to about 2.

If you had asked last year, when one of the "couple of drinks" guys would bring a 12 pack and come close to polishing it off, it would have been higher...

Mallus

Legend
This thread is inspiring me to drink more on game night (now that I'm hosting but not running). My thanks to the OP. And to answer the question...

... currently my group averages around 1 alcoholic beverage per person, by virtue of some of us having a few and some having none. Last session I had three beers and two other players had a rum drink each.

Now back in the day with my old group, the average per player would have been four or five beers, and I have an indistinct memory of running a crackerjack session which began with me downing three shots of Tullamore Dew (after I spent 90 minutes in traffic on my way home from the office).

And whenever I'd play my old screen-namesake character Mallus, I'd start by mixing a water tumbler-sized gin and tonic.

Last edited:

brunswick

First Post
Two answers for me:

My Saturday Group, every 3 weeks, I DM and I'm the only one of the Group to drink (about 6 beers). The other players have to drive home or drink rarely.

My Friday Group, every 2 months, I DM but myself and another player have 6+ beers each on the night (the player is an old friend and he stays over).

Just as an aside, I noticed a few references to Guinness over the course of this thread (you havent lived if you havent sampled the Guinness over here in Ireland, lads). :D

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
brunswick said:
Just as an aside, I noticed a few references to Guinness over the course of this thread (you havent lived if you havent sampled the Guinness over here in Ireland, lads). :D

I drink Sammy Adams when I want a good beer.

I drink Guinness when I want a great beer.

I've always wondered if the saying about Guinness being better/tasting different in Ireland is true. Is it, brunswick - have you had G over there and over in the States?

WP

Edit: That history on Japanese Scotch...who knew? Awesome info. When it ain't beer for me, it's Glenny F.

Remove ads