• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Beers per Gaming Session?

How many alcoholic drinks per PC on avg. are consumed in a typical session?

• None. We don't drink & game.

Votes: 166 54.8%
  • One.

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • Two.

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Three.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • Four.

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Five.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Six.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Seven or more. Who's counting?

Votes: 9 3.0%

Morrus said:
"Newcastle Brown Ale" in the US. Or, as it is more commonly kown, the crappy beer that students drink because they can't afford anything else...

Newcastle Brown Ale is - unfortunately - better than most American beers.

As a British ex-pat of 10 years, I've given up beer because it's all so crappy here. Fat Tire - a U.S. "microbrew" - is often touted as good. It's crappy too.

I've switched to wine. Many excellent affordable California wines. I think Americans who drink beer when there are so many good wines available are crazy.

But Hobgoblin, Thumper, Arthur Inch's Cider, or a well-kept pint of Bass - gods i miss you.

In answer to the original question: I generally indulge in a variety of intoxicants when gaming, although seldom to excess.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
None - our group is a bunch of teetotalers when it comes to our gaming; I wouldn't be averse if someone wanted to, as long as they kept within a nice sober limit, though. I've tried to run a game for a bunch of drunk gamers, ONCE, and I'll never do it again. Ever. I'd sooner shepherd cats.

the Jester

Legend
I said it before and I'll say it again: we're a bunch of drunks.

A typical Monday night game, with most of us working the next day, involving an average of six players and one dm, usually sees us busting through a couple of cases and a couple of twelve-packs- usually in the neighborhood of 48-72 beers.

In addition, many of us smoke cigarettes, including one of us who has been an off-and-on smoker for years (currently lapsing), and almost all of us smoke tons of weed. I can't even estimate how many cigarettes people smoke in a night- that happens outside- but the pot smokers in the group prolly smoke 4-8 bowls/joints in a six-hour game.

derelictjay

Explorer
My gaming group's alcoholic tendencies, lets see, there's six of use, one doesn't drink at all, and one rarely. The other four of us regularly drink at a session but rarely more than one drink. The usually fare is beer for two of us (including me), rum and coke for another and either a mixed drink or beer for the last.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've tried to run a game for a bunch of drunk gamers, ONCE, and I'll never do it again. Ever. I'd sooner shepherd cats.
Well, there's your problem: you tried to run the game. (and, were you sober at the time? If so, that's a second problem...)

I speak from long and fondly-remembered experience when I say drunken dungeons work best when turned loose to pretty much run themselves. All you as DM need to supply is the most basic framework of a story, and rulings when required. :)

Lanefan

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well, there's your problem: you tried to run the game. (and, were you sober at the time? If so, that's a second problem...)

I speak from long and fondly-remembered experience when I say drunken dungeons work best when turned loose to pretty much run themselves. All you as DM need to supply is the most basic framework of a story, and rulings when required. :)

Lanefan
In my groups case when this happens it isn't alcholol. But lots and lots and lots of caffeine, sugar and over-tiredness. It seems that this combination causes what could only be declared hyper-drunkness.

Olli

First Post
well, we don´t drink, but in the vein of jesters group, we smoke like hell. our group consists of 5 people of which one drinks wine, 3 smoke weed and one will do both!!!!

but, i think it was never a problem for us, as we play to chill out and have a good time (it´s as much about socializing with old friends as playing D&D)

lkjopajdowma

Explorer
Newcastle Brown Ale is - unfortunately - better than most American beers.

As a British ex-pat of 10 years, I've given up beer because it's all so crappy here. Fat Tire - a U.S. "microbrew" - is often touted as good. It's crappy too.

I've switched to wine. Many excellent affordable California wines. I think Americans who drink beer when there are so many good wines available are crazy.

But Hobgoblin, Thumper, Arthur Inch's Cider, or a well-kept pint of Bass - gods i miss you.

In answer to the original question: I generally indulge in a variety of intoxicants when gaming, although seldom to excess.

Where in the US do you live? I see Hobgoblin (assuming you mean this Hobgoblin) at any store with a halfway decent beer selection here in Omaha, Nebraska.

Anyway, on topic, I guess my group averages to 0. Sometimes I'll have a beer, and sometimes our DM will, but the other 3 never touch it. Although we have another friend joining us this week who drinks, so while the average (as we don't drink every session) will stay at less than 1, it will go up slightly. :p

We don't get drunk.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads