• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Beers per Gaming Session?

How many alcoholic drinks per PC on avg. are consumed in a typical session?

• None. We don't drink & game.

Votes: 166 54.8%
  • One.

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • Two.

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • Three.

Votes: 25 8.3%
  • Four.

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Five.

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Six.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Seven or more. Who's counting?

Votes: 9 3.0%

brunswick

First Post
I can't answer for brunswick, and everyones taste palletes vary, but in my experience there is a significant difference. I lived in England for almost 7 years (but not Ireland). Guinness on tap in the States is pretty close. Guinness in a bottle or can, in the states, is horrible. I can't be sure, but I personally think this is because of pasteurization requirements in the states (pasteurization can lower the alcohol content and leave behind an after taste - just compare unpasteurized milk, regular milk, and ultra-pasteurized milk and you'll understand what I mean). It's the same reason other import beers don't measure up to the versions served in their originating countries (along with alcohol content - which is typically higher in England and other European countries). For example, import versions of Newcastle Brown Ale and Heinekin don't taste nearly as good as they do in England and Germany (I think they are both about 4% to 5% in the states - same as American Budweiser - whereas in their respective homes, they are about 7% to 10%).

Guinness on tap in England is unparalleled (unless on tap in Ireland is even better:)). Nectar of the Gods, my friend. Nectar of the Gods.:D

Just on the whole Guinness question, I used to go to Cons in England (Gamesfair and Gencon UK in the late 80s and early 90s) and the bar staff pulled the Guinness pints just like they pulled the bitter and it tasted awful. Maybe they have improved things since those days but I still reckon that if you want a decent pint of creamy Guinness, then check out an Irish Pint! (tourism operator hat off now!). :D

zen_hydra

First Post
When I did my military service I had the privilege of sampling Arthur Guinness's best on the Emerald Isle, and honestly it doesn't taste the same anywhere else. Nowadays I regularly drown my sorrows in a couple (dozen) ounces of Maker's Mark Kentucky bourbon. The French have nothing on the Yanks when it comes to making fine bourbon (sour mash whiskey is pretty fine as well).

My group tends to mix it up. Sometimes we play sober. Sometimes...not so much.

kiznit

Explorer
I'm almost always the DM and experience has taught me time and time again that more than one beer throws me off my game some, which bums me out, because I enjoy drinking and gaming.

If I'm playing, I probably average about three.

Lots of gamers are indeed teetotalers, I've noticed, which more or less matches the results of this poll. In my experience, only a small portion of them are jerks about it, though. :)

Cold Beer

First Post
*glug glug glug*

I feel compelled to post in this thread.

In the group I'm currently in does not drink on D&D night. Yeah yeah, hold back the gasps, it's true.

Around 10 years ago or more, the group I was in drank. A lot. We'd go through a couple of cases or bottles of booze in a weekend. We played hard, we drank hard, we mostly got silly drunk and tried to roll dice to have fun. Good times...mostly.

When that group split, a few of us re-formed in another group to pursue D&D around the end of the 2.0 era. We found ourselves drinking less or not at all. Maybe a couple of beers if we were lucky. Most of us didn't drink at all.

Fast forward to 2008 and our group mostly drinks diet pop or water on D&D night. I felt really really odd when I cracked open a Guinness during a game a few weeks ago. I was the only one drinking.

*sigh*

I guess it's mostly an age thing. I would guess that our group's age averages mostly in the late 30s. When I was younger, I drank more.

the Jester

Legend
I guess it's mostly an age thing. I would guess that our group's age averages mostly in the late 30s. When I was younger, I drank more.

Not entirely- many of our group is fast approaching 40, with only one guy who is actually below 30 (assuming IRC, which... you know.)

Chaldfont

First Post
My vote of none is due to the fact that my current game takes place in a gaming cafe that does not serve alcohol.

My last campaign took place in my basement, where my DM chair was within reach of the homebrew keg my players pitched in to buy me for Christmas.

So that was more like 2-3 per session.

ahhh some one mentioned Hobgoblin above...love it and a bit of Spitfire and a bit of black sheep (Who used to 'sponsor' students on on of my flying training courses..we even had the black sheep on the Sqn badge!).
However they are rare and v expensive here in NZ dagnammit!

2 Radlers last night, a dozen Tui the week before :)

Scribble

First Post
I'm probably going to be tar and feathered for saying this but:

I find guiness to be realy... bland. Like the Miller of Stouts.

Don't get me wrong. I like stouts, but Guiness just lacks flavor to me. There's a place over in Berkeley (Triple Rock if you're from the area) that makes a great stout.

Originally from the east coast, I really miss Victory Brewery. I LOVE hops, and the more hops the better... Victory was the king of hoppy beers. I still haven't found anything out here to replace them. :(

WizarDru

Adventurer
Originally from the east coast, I really miss Victory Brewery. I LOVE hops, and the more hops the better... Victory was the king of hoppy beers. I still haven't found anything out here to replace them. :(

Ah, A HopDevil man, I see. I live about 10 minutes from Victory, but they're really not my thing, unfortunately. I'm more into Troeg's, myself.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads