• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How Many Classes Have You Tried?

Gonat

First Post
Let's see...

As DM I rarely play to the 5ed but I've got to play a Ranger Hunter (Halfling)

In previous editions I played:
Fighter
Wizard
Rogue/Thief
Elf*
Half-Orc* (from some sorcebook)
Half-Ogre* (from some sorcebook)
Shaman (from some sorcebook)

*: this were full class back in the day. There was no distinction between class and race ... until AD&D I think?

yakuba

Explorer
Berserker Barbarian
Champion Fighter
Lore Bard
Valor Bard
Fey Warlock(Blade Pact)
Rogue(low-level)

Looking forward to playing Ranger and Wizard
Not that interested in Monk and Druid

Lore Bard has been the most fun so far.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Let's see if my memory files actually go that far back....I'm sure I'll forget some one-offs, those PCs that were "rolled up/created" that never actually saw play, or other minor/short-lived folks from over the years.

As for 5e, nothing yet. Would loveto. Anyone got/getting a 5e online game going here?! It'd be great to be able to play with some regularity.

As for my personal "Rogues' Gallery" of PCs, chronologically as best I can recall...

Very 1st PC Ever: Created in B/X and played into BECM and ported/on to 1e: Human/male, Magic-user that eventually (and we're talking years of play) got up to 17th...18th? No, 17th. I think.
2nd: BECM to 1e, Human/female, Cleric. Think she was 14th when last used.
3rd: A B/X/BECM Elf/male. Transitioned to 1e as an Elf/male, Fighter/Magic-User...but basically just became a Fighter. I almost never used/forgot about his magic. So, for all intents and purposes, he's an Elf/male, Fighter. We ignored racial level limits, so I don't actually remember what level he got up to.
4th: B/X/BECM Halfling/male. Transitioned to 1e as Halfling/male, Fighter/Thief. Think he was around 10th or 12th when he was stabled/NPC'd.
5th: 1st character created in/for 1e, Human/female, Illusionist. Over the years, her abilities became more and more refluffed as psychic powers than Illusion magic so that, now, she exists in my homebrew world as a highly powerful psychic character (with some minor illusion magics studied in her youth before her mental powers blossomed).
6th: Human/male, Fighter. Created as the MU's brother (and yes, this is PRE-Dragonlance). Never much cared for him/straight up martial characters. He didn't see much play.
7th: Elf/male, Magic-user/Thief, "Dyr the Lucky" lives on in infamy for his valiant death on his first adventure, during his very first combat, on his first save/roll. Lives on in the Halls of Heroes as the shortest-lived character I've ever had.
8th: Elf/female, Magic-user/Thief (take two). She lasted significantly longer (than Dyr) before that particular game/campaign ended.

9th: Half-elf/female, Ranger/Cleric.
10th: Elf/male, Thief-Acrobat.
11th: Gnome, male, Illusionist/Thief.
12th: Now entering the 2e days: Elf/male, Ranger/Cleric.
[EDIT: 13th: Forgot a short-lived campaign that included a Half-elf/male, Cleric/Mage. He gets filed among those PCs that I really liked/enjoyed. But as with so many others, just never saw enough play time. /EDIT]

14th: Halfling/male, Fighter/Thief.
15th: Elf/male, Diviner Mage. Didn't last long.
16th: "Half-halfling" [DM assigned race] Thief-ish "Acrobat-y" swashbuckler type...with psychic powers...a clairvoyant, I think...not sure what his actual class was.
17th: Half-elf/female, Cleric/Mage [think she was just up around (a combined) 6th-7th, just hitting her magical stride when people graduated/our college games -that particular campaign and group- came to an end :( ].

Following this, off and on, exclusively DMing. Completely skipped/bypassed 3 & 4e. Haven't played (for any amount of time/serious campaign or PC) for a good long time.

Last edited:

5e - I am the DM most of the time.
But I've tried and played a few:
fighter 5 (human, battlemaster, loved it!)
warlock 4 (dwarf, blade pact, not my thing)
rogue 4 / fighter 1 (wood elf, assassin, loved it even more!)

I started with 1e in about 1986... let's see what I can remember:

1e
human cleric 4
human fighter 13 (with somehow min-maxed STR 18/00 - 1e players know what I mean! :) )

2e
human fighter 20 + x (one of the longest campaigns running, we started at level 1)
halfelf bard 35 (holy crap, just found the character sheet... another one of the longest campaigns running, we started at level 1)

3e/3e5/oriental
human fighter 4 / rogue 5 / ninja-like prCl 13 (...another one of the longest campaigns running, we started at level 1)

4e
forget it, we switched to Pathfinder after a year or so

Pathfinder
human cleric 17
human fighter 19
human wizard 6 (evoker) - my current PC, 1st wizard in ages I play...

... and many many more... OMG, I spent a lot of time playing D&D!

ccs

41st lv DM
5e:
*Fighter (EK, Warforged, variant noble whose retainers were 3 tinker gnomes. )
*Druid (land, male 1/2ling acolyte)
*Ranger (beastmaster, male 1/2elf noble)
*Monk (I forget the subclass atm, male gnome pirate - all aspects; race class stats & personality etc rolled randomly. Effective enough, but my least favorite character I've played so far in 5e)
*Warlock (fey, chain pact. Female 1/2ling child - this one started out as an NPC in the game I was running last year. I recreated her to A) mess with my current DM (who HATED RPing with her) & B) as a set up for things I'm about to DM.)

BECMI: All of them (Fighter, Magic-User, Cleric, Thief, Elf, Dwarf, & Halfling), numerous times. My first ever character was an Elf.

1e: Fighters, Rangers, Paladins, Barbarians, Caveliers, Thieves, Assassins, Clerics, Druids, Magic-Users, 1 Illusionist, Monks, several Bards, and several characters with Psionics. All the races, all the MC options, and plenty of dual-classed humans.
*I've never run (as a player) anything class/race wise from the Oriental Adventures or Kynn books that wasn't already doable out of the PHB or UA.
*And in 33 years of playing 1e I've NEVER run a Thief-Acrobat. Maybe one of these days though....:)

2e: See above, just delete anything that wasn't an option class-wise. Unless it was available as a kit.
Plus a couple of actual Psionics.

3x: Is it in the PHB? Then I've played it. Plus a few Psionics, 1 War Mage, & 1 Healer.

Pathfinder: See 3x. Add a 3pp psion, several Gunslingers, an Alchemist, and a Cavelier.

4e: Barbarian, Druid, Warlord, Bard, & Swordmage. And 1 Psionic.

Last edited:

Kreinas

First Post
3.5;
Ranger
4e;
Paladin
5e;
BladeWarlock/Sorcerer/BMFighter
Champion Fighter
Bladesinger Wizard/Fighter
LoreBard/Hunter Ranger
Beastmaster Ranger

As you can probably tell, I have had a ton of fun playing as a character in 5e, while I mostly DM'd in other editions.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Played a human beastmaster ranger archer, with ubiquitous wolf companion, briefly awhile back (late playtest into early 5e release).

Played a wisecracking halfling thief/battlemaster from 10th to 11th level in one of [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION]'s online games. He died in epic fashion at the story's conclusion. That was mucho fun.

I immensely enjoyed my half elf assassin/shadow monk/feypact warlock, eventually getting up to 15th level before the campaign petered out. So much utility and style. My favorite 5e PC by far to date.

Right now I've got a drow college of blades bard in OotA, and just made 5th level. Have a few mixed feelings about this UA subclass. But not enough to let it get in the way of enjoying the character anyway.

Thinking about trying a goliath next. Barbarian seems the obvious choice. Perhaps a little too on the nose though. So maybe I'll do an EK. Like a 'stonecaller' who focus on earth spells. Something like that.

gweinel

Explorer
5e:
I am mostly DM, but I have the following characters active:

Fighter Battlemaster/Rogue (wanna be Swashbuckler) (3/1 lvl)
Wild Mage Sorcerer (3lvl)
Cleric of Ezra - Ravenloft Campaign-Custom Domain Mists (5lvl)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads