DMs Guild How Many DMs Guild Products Have You Bought?

Number of Guild Products Purchased

• 16+

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • 11-15

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 6-10

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • 1-5

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • 0 - Nothing has caught my eye yet

Votes: 31 37.3%
  • 0 - I only buy Official/ WotC products

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • 0 - I don't buy digital books

Votes: 4 4.8%

Gnarl45

First Post
I never bought a 3rd party product. Until recently, I had my hands full with official products. I was also underwhelmed with the 3rd party stuff my friends bought during the 3e era. And I'm a collectionner. If I don't have a high quality printed book, I'm not really interested.

Miladoon

First Post
That's fair enough. Kickstarter certainly has its risks. Though a lot of Kickstarter-funded stuff becomes available later so you can buy it directly, and can be great quality (as it should be given the budgets some of these crowdfunded things raise!)

Indeed.

I was very close to help fund Primeval Thule but the thought of dancing around terms using the 2000 OGL turned me off. I am happy there is a new OGL/SRD and was wondering just now if Sasquatch updated their pdf.

Also, putting content into DMsG allows others authors to use it. I think that is a big plus for the hobby.

Last edited:

JohnLynch

Explorer
I've "bought" over a dozen titles, but given most don't have previews these have been the equivalent of flipping out through a bookstore. I've purchased maybe 3 titles with the Intent of reading them.

One thing I'm curious about. Are there any who have only started buying third party 5E products now? And if so, why?
I've subscribed to en5ider, but that was equal parts research and enjoyment. As a DM buying player resources is pointless because I need players who want to use them. As a player buying player resources is pointless because I need a DM who will let me use them. As someone who hasn't played a single 5e game (DM'd a ton though), getting player resources seems premature as I haven't even used the PHB resources yet. The DM 3PP stuff released outside of DMsG I haven't had a need before yet (I spent the last 3 years writing up my current campaign after all ;)).

The things that have caught my interest are Realms lore related articles. So adventures that are intrinsically set in the Realms or region guided for the Realms. I expect that's where my interest will continue to be for the foreseeable future with DM's Guild.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, putting content into DMsG allows others authors to use it. I think that is a big plus for the hobby.

The OGL does that, too. In fact, that's exactly the point of the OGL. I agree with you that open gaming terms are a plus for the hobby.

CapnZapp

Legend
Because of the above, I'm curious how many people have purchased* products from the Dungeon Masters Guild.

*For this venture, let's count both free and paid products. So if you chose to pay $0, it still counts as a purchase.
I only spend money on official WotC dead-tree products.

So while I've downloaded a few free/pwyw pdfs from the DMG, I still voted "0 - I only buy Official/ WotC products" as I think that's more representative.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm only interested in adventure material, and not only isn't there much of that to speak of as yet (or at least, there wasn't a few days ago)., I just don't need it right now.

My lack of interest in PC options, which DMsG has naturally been flooded with almost immediately, is part of the reason why WotC's limited output didn't bother me.

CapnZapp

Legend
I can be interested in PC options. I'm just not interested in 3PP player options.

While any individual such resource might not be unbalanced, overpowered, problematic, or plain broken, the effort to weed out the gems from the chaff is simply too great.

Also, I like using options everyone else uses and discusses. Only official 1PP products will ever come close to this criteria.

This makes 3PP player options simply not worth it*. The best scenario for the DMG is that a good PC option gets picked up by WotC and added into one of their official supplements.

*) speaking for myself

ccs

41st lv DM
I haven't bought anything yet. But looking at the amount of 3PP I've bought in previous editions, I probably won't buy much in this one. In fact given that I prefer physical books I'll likely buy even less....

What I would consider? (short) Stand alone adventures. I just haven't gone looking yet though.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Also, I like using options everyone else uses and discusses. Only official 1PP products will ever come close to this criteria.
This I agree with. Discussion of the material is a metahobby within the hobby (or we wouldn't be here!), and nothing third-party makes the jump into "widely discussed".

delericho

Legend
None. I would say it was because I'm keeping my powder dry, but the truth is it's as much about the hassle of changing my credit card last year as anything else.

Remove ads