D&D General How many encounter do you complete before getting a Rest?

How many encounter so you complete before getting a Rest?

Votes: 17 37.8%

Votes: 21 46.7%

Votes: 16 35.6%

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • 5+

Votes: 13 28.9%

I ignored the one-time set pieces, like a pack of gnolls in the wilderness or the bandits too stupid to notice all the armor & weapons.

In other cases we tend to have around 3 encounters, often in protracted series interspersed with short breaks from combat, but where we are still in some kind of motion so no one is resting. It might be dueling with fey nobles, robbing from their wine cellar and dealing with their creepy children one day, or working through an abandoned fortress one cursed room at a time.

Stormonu

Legend
Widely varies, but I usually expect them to through at 3 combat-intensive encounters before taking a rest of some sort.

(My combat encounters are generally Level/CR + 2, Level/CR + 4 for mini-bosses/bosses).

Garmorn

Explorer
I don't have a set number. While I use the daily limit, What level of dificulites vary to match the story/adventure I am running. One day it might be nothing but easy and the next day of combat, it might be one or two deadly with nothing else with no time for a short rest.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
One encounter per day. Two at most. But usually just one. No need to short rest to recharge, because no other encounter would occurs before a long. My group like combat, but hates one combat after another.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Question has no clear answer. Some days there's 0 actual encounters even though the potential is ever-present. Other days there's a great many; particularly if traps, puzzles, and other non-combat hazards count as well.

Reef

Hero
Question has no clear answer. Some days there's 0 actual encounters even though the potential is ever-present. Other days there's a great many; particularly if traps, puzzles, and other non-combat hazards count as well.
Well, that’s why I suggested just to pick the average. Obviously it’s not an exact science. More if a feeling. If you were a short rest class, how many encounters would you feel like you have to budget your abilities over?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, that’s why I suggested just to pick the average. Obviously it’s not an exact science. More if a feeling.
I've never run those numbers so I don't know the average.
If you were a short rest class, how many encounters would you feel like you have to budget your abilities over?
I wouldn't.

"Budgeting abilities" is already far more pre-planning than I care to engage in. I'll use what I've got when I need to use it based on what the day presents, and if-when I'm getting low I'll look for an opportunity to sack out.

Remove ads