D&D General How many encounter do you complete before getting a Rest?

How many encounter so you complete before getting a Rest?

Votes: 17 37.8%

Votes: 21 46.7%

Votes: 16 35.6%

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • 5+

Votes: 13 28.9%

I suspect this is partially why they’re looking to change things up with the warlock. And it’s what led to these polls…to see how the average rest amounts might be affecting players of warlocks and monks.
But it works the other way too - if players aren't interested in playing warlocks and monks for thematic reasons there is no reason to bother with short rests. I suspect that if fighters had got more short rest powers from the beginning of 5e then short rests would have been much more used.

Reef

Hero
But it works the other way too - if players aren't interested in playing warlocks and monks for thematic reasons there is no reason to bother with short rests. I suspect that if fighters had got more short rest powers from the beginning of 5e then short rests would have been much more used.

You’re right. And actually that’s part of the point. No one needs to take shorts rests outside of those classes. So my theory is that even with groups that have one of those, short rests still don’t happen with the frequency the game seems to expect. Thus leading to warlocks feeling like they have not enough spell slots.

The divide between warlock players who are happy with their spells and those who aren’t seem to revolve on how many short rests they get. With these polls I was curious how it played out across the board.

One encounter per day. Two at most. But usually just one. No need to short rest to recharge, because no other encounter would occurs before a long. My group like combat, but hates one combat after another.

But sleeping in game takes literally 1 second in real time.

Your group hates multiple combats per session or per long rest, because they're wildly different things.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Do you run predominantly deadly encounters then if attrition is not a concern?
I have no idea how that would follow. For me, a combat encounter is a setpiece; a fun thing to show off a monster or give the players something to blow off steam with.

What about dungeon delves where the occurrence of encounters is likely to increase?
I rarely do dungeons. Probably because the setup is mostly there to facilitate attrition.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
If you can take a long rest as easily as a short rest burning spell slots is not a problem.

In my games, both as a player and DM, you definitely can't take a long rest as easily as a short rest. You're probably not getting away with a Long Rest in a hostile area. You probably are getting away with a Short Rest in a hostile area if you take reasonable precautions.

Remove ads