How many free actions

reiella said:
Hmm, instead of not being able to attack until next round, they can attack this round? Unless Feigning was changed from being a standard/attack action in 3.5.

But Improved Feint solves that one, allowed you to feint as a move action, then attack right away.

irdeggman

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Then what's the point of the Invisible Blade allowed Feinting as a free action?

I'd allow it with every attack, since that sure seems to be its intent. As a DM, I'm fairly lenient with free actions, since they don't usuall destory the universe. :)

Since normally a feint is a move action which would then limit the character to only a single attack it makes perfect sense.

Basically the Prestige Class gets Improved Feint as a class ability correct?

By making feint a 'free' action the character can then take all of his attacks in a round instead of only one.

Giving the bonus to all attacks can be rather imbalancing since then a sneak attack bonus can be applied to multiple attacks in a round as well as having the victim penalized with no Dex bonus to defense. An extra d6 (or more) to 4 or 5 attacks in a round - just imagine the effect.

irdeggman

First Post
jgsugden said:
How many feints is reasonable when using a feat like this one? I'd say that quite a few could be made. If your DM tells you that he wants to limit it, I adivse you to rent him a few Jackie Chan movies ... he often feints *many* times in a 6 second period.

But how many of them are actually dodges and not feints? Feint is for offense dodge is for defense, but they would appear the same IMO.

irdeggman said:
Since normally a feint is a move action which would then limit the character to only a single attack it makes perfect sense.

Basically the Prestige Class gets Improved Feint as a class ability correct?

Nope, not the same as the Improve Feint feat...the feat allows Feinting as a move action. Feinting is normally a standard action.

By making feint a 'free' action the character can then take all of his attacks in a round instead of only one.

Giving the bonus to all attacks can be rather imbalancing since then a sneak attack bonus can be applied to multiple attacks in a round as well as having the victim penalized with no Dex bonus to defense. An extra d6 (or more) to 4 or 5 attacks in a round - just imagine the effect.

That's the point. Since Feint only applies to your NEXT attack, the only way to apply it to all your attacks is through the Invisible Blade's ability. And yes, that does add a good amount of damage for Rogues, but that's also the point. Rogue's damage mainly COMES from Sneak Attack.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
irdeggman said:
But how many of them are actually dodges and not feints? Feint is for offense dodge is for defense, but they would appear the same IMO.

Watch Kiss of the Dragon, with Jet Li. There's a round in his fight with the little blond guy near the end where he feints on every single attack in a full attack action - feint with the left hand, backfist with the right hand, several times in quick succession.

Definitely a feint and not a dodge.

-Hyp.

Pax

Banned
Banned
I would permit an Invisible Blade to feint for each attack of a Full Attack, even if hasted, and using Perfect Two Weapon Fighting.

Yes, that's very powerful. But that is why they limited the entire class's list of abilities to Daggers only. ^_^

WonkaMania

First Post
The guy that wrote the class - SonOfAPreacherMan

Hey there all.

If you peruse the WOTC boards at all, you'll see the creator of the Invisible Blade class, SonOfAPreacherMan posts there quite often. Basically, he's said that he intended for the "feint as a free action" to be so that the Invisible Blade can feint before every single one of his full attacks.

He's also said that you should only be able to feint once before each attack of a full attack, so NO you could not "feint as a free action" and "oh it failed, I'll just keep doing it till I suceed".. I mean, c'mon, that's lame :p

So Yes, if you are two weapon fighting and you get 5 attacks in a full round, you get to feint as a free action (once) before each and every one of those 5 attacks. That's what he designed the class to do.

~Wonka

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
WonkaMania said:
Basically, he's said that he intended for the "feint as a free action" to be so that the Invisible Blade can feint before every single one of his full attacks.

Here, for those who are interested.

Of course, he seems to be under the impression that a character optimised for feinting will somehow always be up against opponents optimised for Sense Motive. Which seems unlikely, especially once his misapprehension that the defender adds all attack bonuses to his Sense Motive roll is dispelled.

-Hyp.

Vysirez

First Post
WonkaMania said:
Hey there all.

He's also said that you should only be able to feint once before each attack of a full attack, so NO you could not "feint as a free action" and "oh it failed, I'll just keep doing it till I suceed".. I mean, c'mon, that's lame :p

Yeah, I mostly put that in as an extreme example. Wasnt really serious. It's good to see the viewpoints. I'll have to see what my group ends up deciding.

Remove ads