• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Healing Potions in a One-Shot Adventure?

Paul Strack

First Post
I am putting together a one-shot adventure for a convention with pre-generated 3rd level characters. They have 3 magic items each, per the recommendations under Starting at a Higher Level on DMG 143. That seems to be about right.

I think the characters would also have some healing potions, but I can't figure out how many. With the cash granted on DMG 143, they could start with a small mound of healing potions, but that doesn't seem reasonable for a one-shot. Right now I am giving them 1 each, assuming that this is about how many a single character might use in a single adventure.

The adventure consists of 3 encounters, levels 3, 3 and 5, with time for short rests between encounters but not extended rests.

Does one potion each seem right or should I give them more?

Center-of-All

First Post
This is totally eyeballing it, but one seems fine to me. It might help if we knew what the encounters are, even generally. If the 5 is a solo, you may want to consider adding more.

Runestar

First Post
What's your party makeup? If you have ways of triggering healing surges, such as healing word or lay on hands, potions may not be as necessary. Conversely, if there is no dedicated healer, then you may want to dole out more potions to supplement their healing capabilities.

Stalker0

Legend
The major factor in your decision should be, is their a leader in the group?

If not, then I would hand the party potions equal to 2 times the number of encounters you expect to run. That will give you the rough equivalent of warlord's healing.

If you do have a leader, I'd give them one or two just to try out, but no more than that.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
In a recent one-shot I ran, one player decided (based on 3e experiences) to get as many "one-shot" items as possible, which meant healing potions. He had 18 of them; more than his healing daily allocation of surges. The party ended up splitting them three ways (so 6 each).

Total potions used in four encounters: 1.

IMHO, give 'em as many as they can afford. :)

Cheers, -- N

Paul Strack

First Post
Thanks to everyone for all the input.

The party potentially has 2 leaders out of 6 characters (a Cleric and a Warlord). It is conceivable, but unlikely, that neither character will be picked. Given that, I sticking with 1 potion each, which seems to be the consensus.

I'm running a playtest with friends before the convention, so that should reveal any glaring problems.

Otterscrubber

First Post
I say whatever they can afford. Unless your campaign has some reason to limit their access to such resources. Or you feel that a certain amount of it is too much and would make the adventure less challenging or fun for them; then I would limit it to whatever you think is appropriate. Was that vague enough :)

Paul Strack

First Post
I say whatever they can afford. Unless your campaign has some reason to limit their access to such resources. Or you feel that a certain amount of it is too much and would make the adventure less challenging or fun for them; then I would limit it to whatever you think is appropriate. Was that vague enough :)

This is for a one-shot adventure with pre-generated characters, not a campaign. I am trying to figure out a fair number of potions to give them in those circumstances.

Right now the consensus seems to be one or two each is fair (at 3rd level, anyhow).

captainstewart

Explorer
Right now the consensus seems to be one or two each is fair (at 3rd level, anyhow).

At higher level, wouldn't you just give them higher-level potions? Why would they need more?

As a side note, I'm also setting up a 1-shot adventure for my 3rd level party. I set it up with about 5-7 encounters (depending on the route the PCs take), with the idea that the party would not be able to rest since they're escaping from a Kobold lair. I'm giving them two potions after they first break out of their cell (should be painfully easy for a party of 5 PCs and 1 NPC to defeat a lv 1 encounter even if they are unarmed--just make some disarm checks), and then a couple more later on. Oh, and the NPC is an artificer, so that adds some extra healing to the mix.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads