• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many sessions does it take for your group to complete an "adventure"?

How Many Sessions Does it take for your group to complete an "adventure"?

• Less than 1 Session per Adventure (we are super fast!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Session = 1 adventure

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • 2 Sessions

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • 3 Sessions

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • 4 to 5 Sessions

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • 6 to 7 Sessions

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • 8 to 9 Sessions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 10+ Sessions (we are super slow)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • We don't do "adventures" - the campaign is one on-going story

Votes: 11 14.1%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I know "adventures" have no set length and range wildly from the briefest "side trek" maxi-encounter to the most sprawling super-module, but this isn't scientific. . I am just curious for a general sense of how long it takes your group to complete an adventure. Perhaps we can use the average length of an individual Dungeon adventure from one of the APs as a guideline?

Be sure to post how long a "session" generally is for your group and whether the DM awards XP between these adventures or after each session or at some other rate.

Poll to follow. . . So please be patient.

Jaws

First Post
Divide the number of pages in a module by 4 and that will show how many sessions it will take for my group to complete it on average.

Most of us are casual gamers.

j.

Psion

Adventurer
I went "2", though that's going by quick home brews. My experience is the typical published adventure goes much longer.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
diaglo said:
what does complete mean? :confused:

my group has never completed any adventures.

By "complete" I mean, either succeed or fail at the goal of the adventure and then move on.

Save the princess, defeat the lich, loot the tomb, break the curse, find the missing heir of the king, or whatever it might be. . .

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Woas said:
How long does a 'dungeon' from one of the Adventure Paths usually run? I've never ran or played them.

Don't worry about it. I just included that as a very rough guideline. However long "adventures" tend to be for your group is what matters.

For my own group I chose 3 sessions, but that doesn't include getting there and any subsequent "wrap-up" and getting back to civilization (if necessary) in order to give XP (which I only award between adventures). So often it is 5 or 6 sessions between actual "adventures" - though the time is pretty seamless and we are pretty "simulationist" in regards to travel and following through on consequences good and bad of the PCs' actions.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I run a lot of published adventures as side quests within a larger epic adventure. The adventures are usually 30 page books. We play for about 8 hours every other week.

I voted 4-5 sessions as the average time. I always expect it to be 1 or 2 sessions, but the players are really tedious & thorough when adventuring & we goof around a lot out of game. So it always takes longer than I expected.

Ahnehnois

First Post
My campaigns have always been very free-form. While plotlines come in and out, I couldn't define the start or end of one specific "adventure" the way some do.

In that structure, one specific monster/npc or location or other such element does not usually last beyond two or three sessions. My players like change.

diaglo

Adventurer
el-remmen said:
By "complete" I mean, either succeed or fail at the goal of the adventure and then move on.

Save the princess, defeat the lich, loot the tomb, break the curse, find the missing heir of the king, or whatever it might be. . .
well they just completed session 51 and still haven't completed any of the adventures they started. although, they certainly have finished a few of the encounters.

Remove ads