• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many sessions does it take for your group to complete an "adventure"?

How Many Sessions Does it take for your group to complete an "adventure"?

• Less than 1 Session per Adventure (we are super fast!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Session = 1 adventure

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • 2 Sessions

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • 3 Sessions

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • 4 to 5 Sessions

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • 6 to 7 Sessions

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • 8 to 9 Sessions

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 10+ Sessions (we are super slow)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • We don't do "adventures" - the campaign is one on-going story

Votes: 11 14.1%

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Here's the recent adventure history for one group:
1) Chimes at Midnight: 2 sessions
2) Voyage of the Golden Dragon: 1 or 2 sessions/section (6 total)
3) Temple of the Scorpion God: 1/2 session
4) Quoth the Raven: 2 (long) sessions

For the Savage Tide group:
1) There Is No Honor: 4 sessions
2) Bullywug Gambit: 4 sessions
3) Sea Wyvern's Wake: 8 sessions and 1 to go

I voted two sessions, where a session is about 6 hours. Though, this really varies pretty wildly based on how rambunctious we are all feeling, the length of the adventure, if there are non-adventure-related concerns that we need to deal with, and so on...

In one group, where I am playing, we've been going through a lot of the Necromancer Games modules, Doom of Listenshire, Tomb of Abysthor, and so on. These modules are taking us about 5 sessions to complete, on average. And, by complete, I mean clear the entire dungeon of all hostiles (though a couple of the monsters usually get away, in each module).

I am running a Star Wars Saga game for the same group, doing all custom-made adventures. For each adventure, I am writing about eight or ten 'scenes' where one scene might be, "find out where the hostages are being held," or, "clean out the crack house." These adventures, the group is tending towards clearing in a single session. During the previous session, not only did they complete the adventure in one session, they also managed to interject a couple scenes of their own when they did, "get the lowdown on the local crime lord" and "raid on Jabba's palace" (which wasn't actually Jabba's palace, but the scene was at about that scale).

Later
silver

Peter_xxx

First Post
I voted 2. my group takes mostly between 1 and 3 sessions to complete an adventure. I am talking about homebrew adventures here and each adventure is something like an episode in a serie or a chapter in a book.

Crothian

First Post
I voted for 2. I mostly run smaller simple adventures that don't take too long. But I imagine if I averaged in WLD the number would rise a little.

Jhaelen

First Post
In my D&D group adventures will take about twice as many sessions as the module is supposed to take. And our sessions are quite long, about 10-12 hours each!
Part of the reason is probably that we only meet about once a month, so there's lots of out-of-game talk going on. Another reason is that there's 8 players, so combat typically takes a long time. I count myself lucky if we get through 3-4 encounters.

If you think that's slow, I'd have to mention that in my Earthdawn group adventures take at least three times as long as the modules are supposed to take!
We've had lots of sessions without any measurable progress. These sessions are shorter than the D&D sessions, though, only about 6-8 hours each. This is partly because we have some very slow players and partly because of extensive (and sometimes excessive) roleplaying.

Masquerade

First Post
Recently, I've been running episodic games in which 1 adventure = 1 session, but I voted based on my usual style, which is 1 adventure ~ 3 sessions. Like the OP said, though, that's a very unscientific estimate.

viscounteric

Explorer
Most modules for me take 1 or 2 sessions. Some of the modules were designed to be two-parters, to begin with. I can deal with a campaign mod (B10 Night's Dark Terror) taking multiple sessions, but I did have one of the AEG $2.99 mini-modules last almost three sessions. So much for two hours of filler!

Remove ads