• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many settings do you play?

how many settings has your group played?

• one

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • two

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • three

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • four

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • five +

Votes: 43 37.4%

Agback

Explorer
In the last year I have played in or GMed games set in:

* The Forgotten Realms (D&D)

* A fantasticated version of mediaeval Japan (Bushido)

* A fantasticated version of modern England (Ghosts of Albion)

* Russia in the 1990s, seen through a Le Carré lens (James Bond 007)

* England, the Carribean, and Spain in 1979, seen through a Fleming lens (James Bond 007)

* My homebrew SF setting, Flat Black (ForeSight)

* My homebrew fantasy setting, Gehennum (HindSight).

In the 26 years I have been playing RPGs I have played dozens of different settings: five of my own fantasy homebrews, two of my own SF homebrews, at least five friends' fantasy homebrews that I can remember, three different visions of Middle-Earth, at least a dozen fantasy versions of western Europe including Castle Falkenstein and the court of King Arthur, Larry Niven's Known Space, the Traveller Imperium, three different parallel Earths, Mars from Space 1889, a Mars of my own devising in a 1896 setting, a swampy pulp version of Venus, Cthulhu by gaslight, in the 20s, in the 50s, and in the 90s, Delta Green, CyberPunk 2020, at least a dozen friends' futuristic SF settings, the World of Darness, my own 'fixed' version of the WoD. And that's without considering things set ostensibly in teh real world at different periods, and with different and incompatible things going on iin secret.

I would no more play in only one setting than I would watch only one TV show.

Last edited:

My current group? We've currently got two games going, both homebrew, but seperate worlds. We've played Eberron. We've played Dawnforge. We've played other homebrews. While there's some talk of sequel campaigns, each campaign has, to date, been a different setting from the last.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Personal Favorites

The Thayan Menace said:
We typically game in the FRCS (esp. Thay) and play occasional Greyhawk one-shots.
Our group history aside, I've also played and/or run in the following settings:

• Eberron (3.5)
  • Ravenloft (3.0)
  • A flat (homebrew) world called Ath (2.0 and 3.0)
  • The "Known World" of Mystara (Boxed Set D&D)
-Samir Asad: A Household Name!

drothgery

First Post
Hmm... since I started playing with the tabletop group I game with here (and started playing 3.x) five years ago, we've played in

Two homebrew fantasy settings (one pirate-esque, one urban/intrique-esque)
A home-converted "3.25e" Dark Sun (it was pretty much 3.0 with XPH Psionics)
A d20 modern game
and two Eberron campaigns

Meanwhile, I've
- run a d20 Wheel of Time PBP
- tried to run an Eberron PBP, and played in a few Star Wars PBPs (none of these lasted long)
- currently playing in a new Eberron PBP

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Crothian said:
One. I play one setting at a time. In my life I've played dozens, but one per game.

Same for me, although I tried being part of a co-DMing group where we played in the FRCS and in my World of Kulan (WoK) homebrewed campaign. However, that didn't work very well, IMO.

My current group, which is going through some player changes, is set in WoK and the campaign is the Shackled City Adventure Path.

Cheers!

KF72

jsewell

First Post
Oops

Sorry,

I misread the poll. I voted 5+. I was counting settings I've played in the past. I should have voted 2 or 3(?). I play in a home-brew campaign, and I DM a Kalamar campaign that has excursions into Ravenloft (altered to fit the Kalamar 'flavor').

wmasters

First Post
'My group' is fairly loosely defined, there's different groups I play with and different settings as a result. So I play Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Arcanis, World of Warcraft and Homebrew settings, with different people, and some of those very rarely.

Li Shenron

Legend
Well, we played two published settings (Forgotten Realms and Rokugan), but we played many homebrew or strong variants / heavy mix of existing settings.

Basically every new campaign is a new homebrew setting, unless it is FR or Rokugan (in which case the setting is still the same).

Asmo

First Post
As far as I can remember our group has always played Greyhawk, and Greyhawk only. Someone in the group bought some Dragonlance stuff, and latley I´ve purchased Eberron CS, but I doubt it will see play.

Asmo

Remove ads