• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many Sneak attacks?

shilsen

Adventurer
Darklone said:
That, and it's a common houserule of many DMs who got shocked at the "huge" amount of damage a sneak attacking 3rd edition rogue can dish out. Not that I necessarily agree.
At least it's a lot less now than it once was. I remember back on Eric's boards just before and after the 3e books first came out, when some people were posting hysterically about how completely and utterly broken it was that rogues could get sneak attack damage on all attacks if they met the requirements for a sneak attack.

angry monkey

First Post
Fast little blue guy -

You are right again. I usually end up getting my expert tactitian actions when someone is flat footed, or when I'm under improved invisibility, I hadn't thought of regular invisibility or feinting.

Wierd word man -

I don't think you are correct about all the attacks happening simultaneously. Where did you read that?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
irdeggman said:
The thing is that in 3/3.5 when a character gets multiple attacks they are considered to happen at the same time. So if a character qualifies for a sneak attack then he qualifies as asneak attack for al the attacks.

Not at all true.

I again refer you to invisibility, or a feint. In both cases, your first attack will be a sneak attack, but the others will not. In the case of invisibility, it's because the spell ends with your first attack, so you are no longer invisible for the rest. In the case of a feint, it explicitly only applies to your next single melee attack.

-Hyp.

Darklone

shilsen said:
At least it's a lot less now than it once was. I remember back on Eric's boards just before and after the 3e books first came out, when some people were posting hysterically about how completely and utterly broken it was that rogues could get sneak attack damage on all attacks if they met the requirements for a sneak attack.
Guess they didn't realise yet how much more hitpoints people got in 3rd edition... and how bad rogues hit sometimes :D

shilsen

Adventurer
Darklone said:
Guess they didn't realise yet how much more hitpoints people got in 3rd edition... and how bad rogues hit sometimes :D
True. Luckily, most of the complainers then got distracted with the "Rangers got the shaft!", "Harm is broken!" and "Can my paladin kill baby orcs?" threads. Ah, the memories :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads