• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many soldiers should protect a capital city?

Do you have more info on the mercenaries section you can give me? I don't have the DMG. BTW, Aust Diamonddew, I only count on not being attacked from there because: the forest is filled with elves, druids and rangers; the mountains are full of dwarves and barbarians; and the lake is connected to no river or anything else, so if you wanted to cross it, you would have to build a boat in plain sight (plus there are some sea creatures in there). Even if attackers beat back those in the forest or mountains, we have a system that involves lighting fires to let us know (kind of like in The Lord of the Rings).

Firael

First Post
Uhh, I'm not sure if it's in the 3.5 SRD. But you could ask your GM for the book. I'm sure you could ask to loan his book.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
psychic mind flayer said:
Thanks, those Mythosa figures helped, but they were only for selling and buying items.

Also, does Heroes of Battle help with attacking or defending a city? Thanks.

Um, on page 4+ there's a listing of cities with populations, guards and militia. :)

Andargor

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
The DM is always right, of course. :)

The DMG includes guidelines, and Bruce probably tailored them to his campaign. I notice his world to be somewhat sparsely populated. But I referred to it so you could attempt to scale up the populations and check your numbers for consistency.

In RL, apart from Rome (which in the first century AD reached its climax population-wise: 1,000,000 inhabitants; yes, 6 zeroes), most western cities never exceeded 250,000 inhabitants until the 17th century or so (although I'm not sure about the Orient). London hit 1,000,000 in 1800.

So I would guess the DMG figures to be more in-line with "the real world", but it's your campaign... so do what you wish. :)

Andargor

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
psychic mind flayer said:
What is the minimum population for a metropolis? Because if Arkhandus was right, it is 250.000, but if the mythosa documnts were right, it is 25,000. Who is right?
25,001 (Page 137, for those who have a 3.5 DMG handy.)

NimrodvanHall

First Post
250.001 + is the sise in DnD for a plannar metropolis....

on the city army, use it as a police force. in D&D its murder to send 1st lvl humanoids to war.
make aranements with adventurers, that if you call them in case of emergency, they will teleport to a pre aranged location immedeatly. if the party of adventurers cant teleport, they will not be relevant in a war. lower lvl adventurers, who show their own initiative should be rewarded though. just dont use them as your army.

in one 3.0 campeign we actually rolled this out:
and a lvl 8 fighter only hits the ground after mowing true about 400 ordinairy orcs. statistics may provide different numbers though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads