• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How 'medium' is mithral full plate?

Bad Paper

First Post
I am of the opinion that banded mail is the only heavy armor that benefits from the "heavy treated as medium" recommendation. All others have to suffer.

Jhulae

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
This is one case where my preferred interpretation clashes with official word.

In my campaigns, I insist that you be proficient in an armor's "true" category, even if you're wearing a lighter version. Thus, a character can get all the benefits of medium armor by wearing mithral full plate--but he still has to be proficient with heavy armor.

It just makes more sense to me--the difficulties of armor are not all weight-based--and feels more mechanically balanced.

But I acknowledge that the official rules don't support my interpretation. :\

Especially with the MIC. The MIC spells it out very plainly that Mithril drops the category for *all* requriements, inculding proficiency. No ambiguity at all.

mvincent

Explorer
glass said:
If it agrees with the FAQ, then yes.
The MIC also?
Also, do you disagree on what the official rule is?
What it should be?
What the writer's intended?
Is it simply a personal preference?

(not disagreeing with you... merely curious)

GorTeX

First Post
where in the PHBII?

The MIC still leaves ambiguity..says "Movement, profieciency, and other limitations'.

What is 'other limitations'

Does a Battlesmith get his sacred AC Bonus when wearing Mithral Full Plate that he has made?

IMO: it should be: Mithral is treated as both its normal category and one lower--whichever is better for the PC. (and it can be different for differnet properties...so Mithral Full Plate would let a Barbarian/Battlesmith wear it (medium armor) and keep his move bonus while also getting the Sacred AC bonus from his Battlesmith levels (heavy armor).

WOTC obviously has ruled over and over again that it is one category lighter for all purposes, but won't got and say that explicitly anywhere--they have to keep the 'and other limitations' Verbage.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Okay, FAQ and PHB II and MIC seem pretty clear to me, that mithril full plate is treated as medium armor.

Now with the right combo of either magic or class feature/feat, you could have mithril Savant Fighter replacement level, you get to reduce the catagory of how armor affects that character, heavy to medium and medium to light.

It's theoretically possible to take this and then take levels in Scout and get skirmish bonus since for that character Mithril Full plate is light armor.

You could also do this with the Underdark armor mod of Light weight which is a plus 3 bonus to the cost. It does require a psionic creature to make though.

In order to use full Platemail or any other heavy armor, you need the heavy proficiency to use them even though modifications may class the armor as a lighter catagory. This also includes medium armors that because of magic or materials are classed as light armors. You need the proficiency of the base armor to use that armor no matter what catagory it is reclassified in.

In fact when donning the armor it is still considered whatever the base armor was per the PHB.

geosapient

First Post
wildstarsreach said:
Okay, FAQ and PHB II and MIC seem pretty clear to me, that mithril full plate is treated as medium armor.

Now with the right combo of either magic or class feature/feat, you could have mithril Savant Fighter replacement level, you get to reduce the catagory of how armor affects that character, heavy to medium and medium to light.

It's theoretically possible to take this and then take levels in Scout and get skirmish bonus since for that character Mithril Full plate is light armor.

You could also do this with the Underdark armor mod of Light weight which is a plus 3 bonus to the cost. It does require a psionic creature to make though.

In order to use full Platemail or any other heavy armor, you need the heavy proficiency to use them even though modifications may class the armor as a lighter catagory. This also includes medium armors that because of magic or materials are classed as light armors. You need the proficiency of the base armor to use that armor no matter what catagory it is reclassified in.

In fact when donning the armor it is still considered whatever the base armor was per the PHB.

If using the Mongoose books the Dwarven one has an armor ability that makes heavy oy medium armor one less by distibuting the weight of the armor more around the shoulders and hips. I think it's called articulation?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My game uses the original DMG wording, thus for everything except Proficiency, the armor would count as one category lighter.

So if you want to wear Mithral Fullplate to its full benefit, you're going to have to blow a feat or take a level of Fighter or Cleric.

Barbarians love Mithral Breastplates; but Rogues? Not so much.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads