D&D 5E How much speed could a fast monk gain, if a fast monk could gain speed?

chriton227

Explorer
If you're willing to play alignment tricks, you can get even faster with core 3.0. Monk 18 for the 90' move, change alignment to Neutral (ex-monks keep their abilities), Barbarian 1 for fast movement +10' gets you to 100', doubled to 200' by the Boots of S&S, then Run and Haste for the x7 gets you to 1400' per round, or 159mph.

There is a splatbook speed trick that an old player of mine used, the Drunken Master prestige class granted a base move of 50' regardless of race and the ability to charge in a non-straight line (and without having to take the shortest path to the target). He had a dwarven fighter/drunken master (with appropriate level dips) with a ring of jumping and boots of striding and springing, he could charge 200', his minimum running long jump was over 100', and his running high jump was over 30'. He was like a dwarven super bouncy ball.

iLXeNk

First Post
I just wanted to say me and a friend thought about this a week or two ago.

300ft (move, dash, dash) every 6 seconds for up to 2 hours.
Monk 10 (shadow / elemental your choice) +20ft speed
Barb 5 (your choice probably bear totem) +10ft speed
Rogue 3 (assassin) +bonus action dash
Druid 2 (Moon) +change into warhorse base speed becomes 60ft
Feat: Mobile +10 movement speed

Moving 960ft every 6 seconds with a buddy while hitting people 480ft to 1200ft away

11/12 Sorcerer (probably Draconic so DM doesn't screw you over but doesn't matter)
6 Wizard (transmutation)
2/3 Warlock (Agonizing Blast, Eldritch Spear (or Repelling Blast)
Feat: Spell Sniper double range of all attack roll spells (Eldritch Blast is now 240ft or 600ft range) use Distant spell to double the range again (480 or 1200ft)
Have Haste as a known spell.
Have Longstrider as a known spell.

Create stone for +10 movement give it to your friend (make sure it is wearable when they wildshape)

Cast Haste on your friend and spend Sorcery points to double its duration with Extended Spell
Haste duration 1 min
1 SP - 2 min
2 SP - 4 min
3 SP - 8 min
4 SP - 16 min
5 SP - 32 min
6 SP - 64 min = 1hr 4min
7 SP - 128 min = 2hr 8min

Cast Longstrider on your friend for another +10 movement speed and use Extended Spell to double its duration.

Now lets look at your buddy over here
Monk 10 (shadow / elemental your choice) +20ft speed
Barb 5 (your choice probably bear totem) +10ft speed
Rogue 3 (assassin) +bonus action dash
Druid 2 (Moon) +change into warhorse base speed becomes 60ft
Feat: Mobile +10 movement speed
+10ft speed from transmutation stone
+10ft from Longstrider

For a total of 120ft base movement or 360 total movement (move + dash + dash)
240 base movement while hasted or 960 total movement (move + dash + dash + dash) (109mph)

For extra cool points although a bit slower have your friend turn into a Lion, which is also a large creature.
Lion moves 50ft so instead of 120ft you'll be at 110ft and you'll only have 880ft per 6 seconds. But you're riding a LION! (100mph)

*Edit*
Without Wildshape and instead using Wood Elf as base movement speed of 35+20+10+10+10+10 you still have 95 movement (185 move+dash+dash) or 190 hasted (760 move+dash+dash+dash) ~86mph

Last edited:

kerleth

Explorer
I hate to be a party pooper, but I don't think extend spell works like that. Spending 1 spell point doubles the duration. At the beginning of metamagic it says that you can only use one metamagic option per spell, unless stated otherwise. I guess some people are taking it as using only one option, just using that one option multiple times? I really don't think that's what was intended though. I took it as you may only "select an option" one time, and each other metamagic enhancement, even the same one, would require "selecting an option". Any reason to think that using the same option multiple times was intended? Still, that just effects the duration, not the total speed. NICE :cool:

Riley37

First Post
Would it be useful to add Find Steed? Any spell that you can cast on yourself, you can affect both yourself and the Steed. It's not the same as actual sprinting, but it's a variation.

If you use the Charging feat, you may lose a bit of top velocity, but you trade Dash + Bonus Action for Dash + Attack. Fortunately for game balance, the bonus damage from Charger does not scale to speed.

TheTurboTornado

First Post
Well, I once did a calculation regarding the max speed of my human monk, and this is what I found out:
Base speed: 30 ft
+Boon of speed: 60 ft
+Longstrider: 70
+Unarmored Movement: 100
+Mobile Feat: 110

Now we get to the multipliers:
x2 for Boots of speed: 220
x2 for Haste: 440

Now it gets slightly more complicated, as you can take Dash as:
Action
Bonus action (Step of the Wind/Expeditious Retreat)
"Ëxtra action" (Haste)
This means that you can effectively multiply your walking speed by 4, which results in:

A speed of 1760 ft/round, approx. 300 ft/sec, ~200 mph, 88 m/s, and 316.8 km/h. But that's not even the max, as being a wood elf gives you 35 base speed, for example(also, I've seen ideas where you shapechange/get true polymorphed into a storm giant).

Igfig

Explorer
I did some brainstorming with one of my players, and we made a couple of improvements to your numbers.

Wood Elf Barbarian 5, monk 6, wizard 6, fighter 2, Sorcerer 1

Wood elf has base speed 35
barbarian 3 gets eagle totem for dash as a bonus action, barbarian 5 gets +10 speed
monk 6 has +15 speed
wizard 6 gets transmuter's stone for +10 speed, can cast 3rd level spells
fighter 2 gets action surge
Sorcerer 1 gets Wild magic

Feats:
Mobile: +10 speed

Have the magic item Boots of Speed to double your movement speed as a bonus action for 10 minutes max

Since you are level 20 you have access to Epic Boons
Epic Boon of Speed: +30 feet

At level 20 you also have access to Artifacts, which give passive bonuses.
Attuned to an Artifact with a major beneficial property rolled 41-50 gives +10 speed

Base 35
+barbarian's +10 from level 5
+monk's +15 from level 6
+wizard's +10 from transmuter's stone's
+mobile feat's +10
+Epic Boon of Speed's +30
+Longstrider's +10
+Attuned to artifact's +10
x2 from haste
x2 from boots

Turn 1: cast Haste on yourself for the extra action and the double speed

Turn 2: cast Longstrider on yourself.
Click the boots of speed together as a bonus action to double speed again

Turn 3:
Eagle totem or Step of the Wind to dash as bonus action
Move as move action
Dash as Action
Action Surge to dash again
Haste action to dash again
when you've moved your max speed minus your strength score you long jump, going that many more feet, ending at your max speed
while in the air cast featherfall as a reaction, roll 1d20 and trigger wild magic, roll 81 on the wild magic table
Use Wild Magic Free Action to Dash again

The end result of this is 3640 feet in one round, or roughly 414 miles per hour.

Even without the Wild Magic, that's 3120 feet per round, or 355 mph.

TheTurboTornado

First Post
I did some brainstorming with one of my players, and we made a couple of improvements to your numbers.

Wood Elf Barbarian 5, monk 6, wizard 6, fighter 2, Sorcerer 1

Wood elf has base speed 35
barbarian 3 gets eagle totem for dash as a bonus action, barbarian 5 gets +10 speed
monk 6 has +15 speed
wizard 6 gets transmuter's stone for +10 speed, can cast 3rd level spells
fighter 2 gets action surge
Sorcerer 1 gets Wild magic

Feats:
Mobile: +10 speed

Have the magic item Boots of Speed to double your movement speed as a bonus action for 10 minutes max

Since you are level 20 you have access to Epic Boons
Epic Boon of Speed: +30 feet

At level 20 you also have access to Artifacts, which give passive bonuses.
Attuned to an Artifact with a major beneficial property rolled 41-50 gives +10 speed

Base 35
+barbarian's +10 from level 5
+monk's +15 from level 6
+wizard's +10 from transmuter's stone's
+mobile feat's +10
+Epic Boon of Speed's +30
+Longstrider's +10
+Attuned to artifact's +10
x2 from haste
x2 from boots

Turn 1: cast Haste on yourself for the extra action and the double speed

Turn 2: cast Longstrider on yourself.
Click the boots of speed together as a bonus action to double speed again

Turn 3:
Eagle totem or Step of the Wind to dash as bonus action
Move as move action
Dash as Action
Action Surge to dash again
Haste action to dash again
when you've moved your max speed minus your strength score you long jump, going that many more feet, ending at your max speed
while in the air cast featherfall as a reaction, roll 1d20 and trigger wild magic, roll 81 on the wild magic table
Use Wild Magic Free Action to Dash again

The end result of this is 3640 feet in one round, or roughly 414 miles per hour.

Even without the Wild Magic, that's 3120 feet per round, or 355 mph.

You don't need to be a wizard yourself, do you? Just have a friendly transmuter wizard!

Remove ads