• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much to tip the pizza delivery guy?

sam500

First Post
I just ordered a pizza from domino's that cost me $10.
With delivery charge $2 and tax of $1
that comes to $13
Do I tip the delivery guy on top of that or does the delivery charge go to him?
Paying 50% on top of a pizza seems to be crazy.
Your thoughts?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
sam500 said:
that comes to $13
Your thoughts?

They charge for delivery? Weird. I don't know of many pizza places that do that around these parts.
I think a buck a pie is a pretty common tip for pizza delivery.

IcyCool

First Post
Pretty much all of the pizza joints out here add a dollar or two as a delivery charge. It doesn't go to the driver directly though, it's partially what is used to pay for their mileage.

sam500 said:
that comes to $13
Your thoughts?

How often do you order pizza?

I'll generally do 15% on the base price, but if I'm paying cash I'll usually round to the nearest easy number. I used to do more till the pizza joints started adding their delivery charge "to compensate for gas prices" since none of that was going to the delivery guys (and besides which, gas is down to $2.20 here from $3.20, and none of them have dropped the surcharge).

But I order pizza more than I should, and I get good, fast service. In my old apartment, I ordered from my favorite joint a lot, got great service, and tipped well. When I moved into my new place, a guy stopped me on the elevator. We both looked at each other like we sort of recognized the other, and he says 'Hey, you used to live at XYZ, right? You used to order pizza from us. You always tipped well so we'd always deliver yours first.'

werk

First Post
I usually throw them 4 or 5 bucks, but have never had to pay a delivery charge. I'd just ask the guy about the delivery charge and if he gets that money.

In a restraunt I usually tip as a percentage of the bill, but for delivery, it's usually based on how far away the place is and what the weather is like outside. $10 or $100 they are usually going to get ~$5 tip as long as they are not super super late.

Pbartender

First Post
billd91 said:
They charge for delivery? Weird. I don't know of many pizza places that do that around these parts.

Every place that delivers round here, not just pizza places, have delivery charges in the range a dollar or two.

In general, we just round up to the nearest $5 increment, and then toss in an extra $5 worth of tip for every $25 (or so) worth of bill. It makes for a decent tip, and is a lot easier than calculating out a precise percentage.

And like Werk said, if travel conditions are bad, we'll be a bit more generous.

Dingleberry

First Post
Having once worked food delivery (cookies, not pizza) and now being upper middle-class, my philosophy is to overtip: at the end of the day, a couple of extra bucks means a lot more to someone delivering pizzas than it does to me.

I believe that the world would be a much better place if everyone had to work for tips at some point - pizza delivery, wait tables, whatever. That, and clean a public restroom.

Bad Paper

First Post
sam500 said:
that comes to $13
Your thoughts?
Give him $14 and a couple of cans of beer.

Remove ads