• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often do you cheat?

On average as a DM, how often do you fudge dice rolls or change stats mid-encounter?

• Multiple Times During Every Combat

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • About Once per Combat

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Once Every Few Combats

Votes: 73 33.5%
  • Very Rarely or Only in Deep Immersion Campaigns

Votes: 71 32.6%
  • Never - Let the Dice Fall Where They May

Votes: 50 22.9%

Thurbane

First Post
I used to fudge a bit when I was DM (usually in favour of the players), but in my current game we have all agreed that we are taking a "let the dice fall where they may" approach, and if anyone is unlucky enough to go down to an unlikely critical from a kobold mook with a scythe, they'll just have to wear it... ;)

was

Adventurer
every once in a while i find that i've made an encounter a little too difficult, so i fudge a little to give them at least a 50/50 shot of surviving

I roll dice in the open...and *never* cheat.....

after all, it is not cheating if I happen to forget a modifier or a hp total is it :)

I fudge for two things:
- I miscalculated the CR of the encounter and need to scale it up or down
- A PC that is normally sidelined has the opportunity to shine if only they had a +1 on a roll.... :)

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Not usually, but after not receiving anything from my group for GMs Day, I have a feeling the monsters are gonna be rolling a LOT of crits this Friday night...

A lot less now than I used to. Maybe it's because the players aren't in the really low levels anymore so I don't have to worry about one random critical killing anyone anymore. Either that or the players aren't as challenged by the fights as they used to be.

Olaf the Stout

FATDRAGONGAMES said:
Not usually, but after not receiving anything from my group for GMs Day, I have a feeling the monsters are gonna be rolling a LOT of crits this Friday night...

Funnily enough, the session I had last night was the first one since GM's day. I rolled 4 confirmed crits and few unconfirmed crits with Longbows (only crit on a 20, do x3 damage). It would have to be the most crits I have confirmed in 1 session (we only play for about 4 1/2 hours each session).

Olaf the Stout

hong

WotC's bitch
I never cheat. I engage in contingent risk mitigation behaviours so as to facilitate positive outcomes for all participants in the shared enterprise.

Hong "trust me, I work in insurance" Ooi

Li Shenron

Legend
takasi said:
How often do you roll behind the screen, see a crit that would kill a player, and say "miss"?

Or roll for the reoccuring BBEG's save vs disintegrate, see a 1 and say "he saves"?

It's been a very long time since I've done it, so I voted "never", but I'm not 100% sure I won't ever do it again, in some very special circumstance.

takasi said:
How often do you roll behind the screen?

Currently quite often actually. I roll almost everything that the monsters do, and I roll some PC's checks whenever I feel like it would be better that they don't see the result.

takasi said:
How often do you tell players what the monster's to-hit is? Or their saves? Or their hit points? Do you ever do this?

I never tell them.

edit: actually sometimes I do tell them, but only after the battle

kensanata

Explorer
I save the day by keeping a few friendly NPC character sheets at hand for the dire times when the ranger is approaching -9, rogue is at -6, and the fighter down to 3 hit points. Foolish party of level 2, 3, and 4 on a scouting mission deciding to assault a Cleric 5 with a dozen skeletons and zombies. So I had a fox shapechanger (kitsune) NPC appear they befriended a few sessions ago. It more or less made sense because he's supposed to be the guardian of the area, but unfortunately it did look a bit like the DM's saving the party. I'll have to figure out what to do next time.

As for the dice, the last few sessions I must have rolled an average of 15 or higher, where as one of my players (the ranger at -9) must have rolled an average of 3 or 4 on a d20. It was amazing. At one time, he does his two weapon fighting thing and rolls... 3 and 3! And then the zombies rolled something like 15, 17, 19, 19, 16. It was all out in the open and terrible to behold.

Hussar

Legend
Put me in the always rolling in the open. While I may not tell them how many hp's a critter has, they track the damage on the targets so, they know how much they pumped in. It gets a bit obvious if you start pumping in too many hp's. I haven't done so in a very long time.

Remove ads