• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often do you restart/change campaigns?

LiVeWiRe

ENergetic Comm. Supporter
From the posts here, I've been fortunate to have been part of 2 campaigns that lasted several years...

The first, which myself and a friend took turns DMing, ran for close to 5 years with (most) of the original characters. A few years later, this game was somewhat 'revived' with the players (including some new ones) playing the original group's children. The revived campaign ran for approximately a year and a half.

The second game lasted for 7 years, with some addition and subtraction of players and characters, and has been revisited on a couple of occasions (for a weekend gaming session) since it ended.

However, I can 'empathize' with others here because the current campaign I am in looks to be ending after a little over a year of play...

DM burnout, player schedules (i.e. real life) are the major factors...

Gospog

First Post
Mini Game Addict

Well, in highschool, I ran a TORG campaign that lasted 2 years.

These days, with school and family obligations, my record is about 10 months for a D&D campaign that is currently "on hold".

The problem (if there is a problem) is that I love variety, as does my group, and D20 has been a huge boon to our group.

Nowadays, we can change games as often as we like, without having to start at "square 1" for rules. We've played Star Wars, CoC, Wierd Wars, Shadow Chasers, Pulp Heroes, Mecha Crusade, Judge Dredd, and a few homebrew games of our own devising.

That being said, I am totally addicted to the D20 mini-games in Polyhedron. I love them all, and I want to run them all! Right now, all at once! Luckily, my players oblige me. :)

My usual MO is to run 4 or 5 sessions of each mini-game, with promises to return to each, as time and interest allows.

A close second for long-lived D20 games is my D20 Star Wars game, which is still going strong, but will probably wrap up (for now) in a few weeks so I can concentrate on my home-brew BtVS Steampunk game (at least for a few games) and hopefully pick up a D20 Supers system.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
No, Quickbeam, that's us too! :) I've got to sit in on one of your games sometime. Sounds like we have similar tastes.

I concur wholeheartedly!! You and I often post in the same threads (when I'm here posting that is) and seem to frequently come down on the same side of most issues. We can't live more than 30 minutes apart IIRC, so let's arrange to make a special guest appearance in each other's games sometime.

Quickbeam said:
I concur wholeheartedly!! You and I often post in the same threads (when I'm here posting that is) and seem to frequently come down on the same side of most issues. We can't live more than 30 minutes apart IIRC, so let's arrange to make a special guest appearance in each other's games sometime.
Probably so -- I live in the northeastern tip of Canton right now, probably moving to a friend's house at Palmer and Sheldon in Feb. But I'm all for it; a guest appearance would be fun!

Quickbeam

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:

Probably so -- I live in the northeastern tip of Canton right now, probably moving to a friend's house at Palmer and Sheldon in Feb. But I'm all for it; a guest appearance would be fun!

We're in the midst of a RttToEE campaign that had been put off for awhile. Next up for us is a foray into the Kingdoms of Kalamar -- you're welcome whenever you'd like. We generally play at my friend's house in Keego Harbor, which is about 45 minutes from Canton. How about your group, what's going on in your campaign? We should continue this via email, and return everyone else back to the original thread.

Sorry for the hijack.

yahoomaps puts it even closer! I'll keep an eye out for that e-mail -- Kalamar sounds like fun. My current campaign has a story hour in my sig file, so you can see exactly what we're doing. It looks like we'll have two concurrent games starting this week though -- DM wants to take a break every other week.

Comert

First Post
My campaigns usually last for about 6 months. There have been many miseries that ended as abruptly as they began, and there have been some 2-3 year olds.

Comert said:
My campaigns usually last for about 6 months. There have been many miseries that ended as abruptly as they began, and there have been some 2-3 year olds.
If they were miseries then it's probably good that they ended as abruptly as they began, right? ;)

Sulimo

First Post
In my case it's varied from game to game. And in all cases games have stopped due to outside factors (like the GM moving or getting burnout, or in a couple of cases the key player moving). Our longest game was a 8 year MERP game, which stopped in the middle of the climactic adventure because too many of the players moved on. One day we'll finish it. Other campaigns seemed to have gone for a 2-3 year timeframe...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads