• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often do you use traps?

How often do you use traps?

• 100% of the time

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • 90% of the time

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 80% of the time

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • 70% of the time

• 60% of the time

• 50% of the time

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • 40% of the time

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • 30% of the time

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • 20% of the time

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • 10% of the time

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • 0% of the time

Votes: 10 9.3%

shilsen

Adventurer
DragonLancer said:
ok, that almost coated the keyboard in cola! Fanny means something different over this side of the pond. :eek: :lol:

Actually, I assumed he meant "fanny" in the same sense as you use it. tankschmidt, care to clarify?

I’ve always found that the players in my game don’t check for traps until they set one off, then everything slows to a crawl as they check every single 10foot square they come across to make sure that it doesn’t happen again.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It's hard to say. I said about 50% of the time. It really depends on the the places in the world the PCs go. Lots of people do defend themselves though. It's only natural.

Plus, it could be said that the PCs trap themselves by stumbling into dangerous place and players tend to find the least safe places within it. That's a bit broader definition than a pit trap, but it holds true to comparable frequency.

diaglo

Adventurer
does a gordian knot count as a trap?

i let the players run the show i only make the rulings as a referee. this leads to many situations in which the players entwine their characters in a mess.

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
I have always had a soft spot for the rogue. Up until recently I have used traps frequently. No one wants to play a rogue in my current game so I really lightened up on the traps. I still use them (but not the killer variety) as a gentle reminder that they may need a rogue some time in the future.

GammaPaladin

First Post
Basically never. Less than 1% of sessions in campaigns I've run had anything you could refer to as a dungeon in them.

And even then, I'm just not a fan of traps, they're not terribly logical.

The most I'd be likely to do would be alarms, or tripwires/pressure plates that cause doors to lock (Or open, which can be worse).

That still gives the rogue something to do... If he had found the pressure plate, they wouldn't be fighting that Balor...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, no dungeon crawls to speak of, but a few 'protect the item' type traps. And one or two 'destroy the incriminating evidence at the same time as the adventurers' traps, and one or three ' trapping the escape corridor behind me' traps. (You cannot imagine how much work some of those villains put into 'I'm getting out of this alive! methods....)

The Auld Grump

Remove ads