• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How old do you have to be to play Dnd?

kanithardm

First Post
I have two little brothers age 8 and 10. I want to get them into Dnd but my mother says they are too young. She says let them stick to pretend. I say they're old enough. What do y'all think?

Rhun

First Post
I started playing when I was about 7. My older brother used to make me play because a lot of times he didn't have anyone else that would play D&D with him. I credit Dungeons and Dragons with much of the development of my reading and writing skills.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
kanithardm said:
I have two little brothers age 8 and 10. I want to get them into Dnd but my mother says they are too young. She says let them stick to pretend. I say they're old enough. What do y'all think?

I think it depends on the child.

I started to get into it when I was 10, however the D&D I learned was a lot simpler than 3E. If you do get them involved, I'd recommend go the route of the basic game (i.e. have premade characters for them). Also, keep the first adventures very simple (monster in room, fight monster, get treasure) and see how they handle it.

The recommended age (on the D&D Player's Kit) is 12.

Pbartender

First Post
kanithardm said:

I'd say listen to your mother.

While yes, they can feasibly play D&D, assuming that they can both read and do basic math, getting on the wrong side of your mother with regards to D&D is never a good idea. Especially when it comes to your little brothers (her children). One way or the other, it's not a battle you can win, and either way... it's not your place to tell your mother what your brothers (her children) can or cannot do.

Let it go. Try again in a couple years.

Festivus

First Post
I thought D&D was pretend play. :)

I agree though, they should be able to handle the D&D Basic Game at that age, it's really very simplified character sheets go a long ways towards introducing new players to the game.

I have to wait 7 more years before my boys are going to be ready to actually start playing. :(

kanithardm said:
She says let them stick to pretend.
What is her idea of what D&D is? Unless you're in the "D&D is the spawn of the devil" camp, it's ALL pretend, isn't it? In any case, I was about 9-10 or so when I began playing D&D. I wouldn't try to teach anyone younger than that, though I haven't seen the beginner/introductory set that was mentioned earlier.

That being said, though, I'm toying with the idea of trying to teach my oldest daughter (8) the D&D minis game, she's showing alot of interest when I'm playing with friends... I think much depends on the individual.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Pbartender said:
I'd say listen to your mother.

While yes, they can feasibly play D&D, assuming that they can both read and do basic math, getting on the wrong side of your mother with regards to D&D is never a good idea. Especially when it comes to your little brothers (her children). One way or the other, it's not a battle you can win, and either way... it's not your place to tell your mother what your brothers (her children) can or cannot do.

Let it go. Try again in a couple years.

I hate to do it, but. . . QFT.

Ravenknight

First Post
The issue here seems more to be about your mothers fear about D&D then your brothers age. I for one dont think there is any problem with 8 year olds playing the game but thats me. :)

JohnSnow

Hero
It depends on your brothers' reading, math, and visualization skills.

I started playing D&D when I was 8 (1981). I would have started earlier, but the game was in pretty scarce supply back then. My older brother was 12. We started playing without anyone older being involved, although a friend a year older than my brother sagely guided us through character creation when we got our first boxed set.

I'd say you can probably introduce your brothers to the game, but you might want to try the D&D Adventure Game first, or track down an older, easier to learn edition of the game. Failing that, Castles and Crusades is pretty close to 3e, but lighter on the rules.

I'm not saying "go against your mom" but you might try a few creative tactics.

1) Wait for a rainy day. When your brothers are whining that they're BORED and your mom's at the end of her rope, offer to take them through a quick D&D adventure. She'll probably bless you.

2) Similarly, try to entice them away from TV some night.

Basically, encourage them to play D&D rather than some other indoor activity that can rot their brain (TV, video games, etc.). Don't impinge on their "free play" or outdoor activities, both of which are a good idea for your mom to encourage.

It doesn't have to be an either/or.

Good luck!

Remove ads