• 28-31 Years. Lord.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • 32- 35 Years. Grand Master.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • 36-39 Years. Grognard.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • 40+ Years. Relic.

Votes: 7 9.0%

Also holding onto all but one of the dice from the venerable Red Box, from about 30 years ago. I used the d20 for years, but fear that much of the luck has been used up... :D

Now, my most-weathered looking die would be either the wax-numbered d4 from the Expert set or a d20 purchased from the Orc's Nest back in 1990 or so. The d4 is decidedly wobbly-looking, and much of the gold coloration on the d20 has flaked off.

I have my grandfather's dice cup with its red 5d6 from I-don't-know-how-old. It sat on the bar in his basement since I was a little kid, and the cup/dice were well-worn even then.

Otherwise, my first actual gaming dice were bought in 1982. I still have most of 'em from that Red Box set.

pdzoch

Explorer
Depends on if you mean the ones I intentionally got for gaming, or the d6s I raided from board games.

I hadn't considered the possibility of raiding other board games for d6s. D6s are so ubiquitous that I hadn't thought them special for consideration. I also did not expect anyone to actually hang on to them. I think I raided an old Risk game for my first set of d6s, but I return them to the original game (I think) once I got a set specific to RPGs.

I also hadn't thought about the heirloom dice several have cited, typically d6s that have been in the family for years. I doubt the guy who has the historical Roman die actually uses those.

I'm surprised by the number of people who held on to their dice from the original Red Box. Those dice were horrible. Mine went into the box of loaner dice with the rest of the undesired dice from the Pound of Dice bag from Chessex.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm surprised by the number of people who held on to their dice from the original Red Box. Those dice were horrible.

I don't know about the Red Box dice, but the ones included in the Basic & Expert sets released before that were of variable quality.
Alot were cheap crap and the corners would chip & round off.
Some of us though got decent dice. The ones that came in my Basic set were rock hard & a pale bluish-grey. My Expert set had the same good quality just molded in a medium blue. Age & 35 years of weekly use hasn't affected them at all.

pdzoch

Explorer
I don't know about the Red Box dice, but the ones included in the Basic & Expert sets released before that were of variable quality.
Alot were cheap crap and the corners would chip & round off.
Some of us though got decent dice. The ones that came in my Basic set were rock hard & a pale bluish-grey. My Expert set had the same good quality just molded in a medium blue. Age & 35 years of weekly use hasn't affected them at all.

Maybe they were not horrible, but just ugly. Though, I would not be surprised that I just did not like having the same dice as my friends who also owned the box set dice. I recall we all went to the same store together one day, just to get dice that were distinctly our own.

We got our first set when we started playing in 1974 with photocopies of the rules set. The first gaming store where I grew up did not open until 3 years later. Still have the original set(s), corners chipping, paint wearing away from 1/2 the d20's. When I started playing again after a 20 year hiatus, I was amazed that the d20's were marked 1-20 and my fellow players thought I was cheating with my old set..... Then I bought the some new sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obryn

Hero
I still have the worn down red d20 that came with my Moldvay Basic set. So that's what, 35 years or so?

Dice were a lot smaller back then.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

My oldest dice are from my great-great grandfather's dudo game set, a bunch of d6 from the mid-1800's.

As for non-regular dice, my oldest one is a d10 from the 1993 board game Dragon Strike.

Remove ads