• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How Should the Bastion rules be updated from that UA?

dave2008

Legend
What I want from a bastion system is:
  1. Expand the cost of construction, maintaining, and running facilities as indicated in the DMG. Make that section bigger and more robust. So i can just by or build a simple Tavern.
  2. Provide a turn based Bastion system for plan old mundane structures. I am not sold on a particular duration yet. The turns would cover events that could happen. You chances of success and failure with those events could be improved by choices you make during construction, maintenance, and running the facility.
  3. Provide a method to upgrade bastions beyond the mundane. So that tavern could expand to Guild of Elixirs (?) that brews and sells magical potions.
  4. In general it would be less about giving he PCs mechanical benefits (that that could be an option too) and more about give players another way to interact with the world.

Except for the "huge" part that already exists in the DMG.

I guess that is what I am saying. I want a much more robust version of what the 2014 based on GP as currency and real time rather than having abstracted Bastion points and Bastion turns. I don't normally tend toward Simulation in RPGs, but this is one area that I think it scratches the itch.

dave2008

Legend
I guess that is what I am saying. I want a much more robust version of what the 2014 based on GP as currency and real time rather than having abstracted Bastion points and Bastion turns. I don't normally tend toward Simulation in RPGs, but this is one area that I think it scratches the itch.
I tend to agree, though think @grimmgoose suggested bastion system probably makes the most sense for 5e. 3PP should make the more detail options to fill the void we want.

Stormonu

Legend
I tend to agree, though think @grimmgoose suggested bastion system probably makes the most sense for 5e. 3PP should make the more detail options to fill the void we want.
I agree. I certainly want some guidelines for incorporating a home base/business that the PCs can run, but it shouldn't take a spreadsheet to figure out or resolve.

Down the road, for those that want more detail, they can do a book like the old Castle Guide and Stronghold Builder's guide.

Horwath

Legend
levels need to be reduced,

1st don't need to wait 5 levels to gain a stronghold, it can be granted at the start if story demands it.
also no need to wait 13 level to get some good gimmicks.

number special building can be altered to be available earlier
1st level: 1 building
3rd level: 2
5th level: 3
9th level: 4
13th level: 5
17th level: 6

and every building can have 5 tiers for levels: 1,5,9,13,17.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
My number one feedback on the UA is that the various bastions should support WotC's official tiers. Don't invent a new definition for things that are already defined.
A tier 1 pub wouldn't spit out magic items for example, because it's for 1-4 level.
A tier 2 pub might, because it's for 5-10

and so on

Embrace the rules that are already created so that the design is directly connected to the current game.

And please gods, DO NOT USE LEVEL for Bastion power.

Stormonu

Legend
levels need to be reduced,

1st don't need to wait 5 levels to gain a stronghold, it can be granted at the start if story demands it.
also no need to wait 13 level to get some good gimmicks.

number special building can be altered to be available earlier
1st level: 1 building
3rd level: 2
5th level: 3
9th level: 4
13th level: 5
17th level: 6

and every building can have 5 tiers for levels: 1,5,9,13,17.
I think I suggested something similar.

Though, I think it's fine to put the level 3 "minimum" in as default for a mundane structure, and those DMs who want to override it and give their players a bastion at first level can just up and do it (as I plan to do).

As for special buildings, maybe do "bastion attunement slots", with a default of 3 (or 2 per player) and the DM can award more, along the same lines of epic boons.

Horwath

Legend
I think I suggested something similar.

Though, I think it's fine to put the level 3 "minimum" in as default for a mundane structure, and those DMs who want to override it and give their players a bastion at first level can just up and do it (as I plan to do).
that is why I put only 1 structure then. every one can handle one job, especially if it's in simplest form
As for special buildings, maybe do "bastion attunement slots", with a default of 3 (or 2 per player) and the DM can award more, along the same lines of epic boons.
that is why building limit is.
sure maybe you can buy extra mundane building, but they will not be anything special.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I like this, but might include CHA as a modifier. Good leaders should have the option for more bastions.

Remove ads