• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How the H does Pinning work?

LiL KiNG

First Post
About to start a new game and I've got a grapple beast planned out (using oriental adventures) but even the 'Grapple Guide for Dummies' didn't help me understand pinning.

Character;
ECL 3 (monk 1 [stunning fist], fighter 1 [imp. grapple], feral template)
regional feat: jotunbrud (powerful build, minus large weapons) - it is a houserule that regional feats are a bonus feat for PC's.
level 1 feat: aberration blood [arms: +2 grapple]
2 flaws/feats: choke hold, earth's embrace (OA version)
brawler trait - we houseruled away with the IUS restriction and instead made it a -2 initiative modifier "as you size up your opponent".

so my grapple bonus looks like:
+1 BAB, +1 brawler, +4 size/jotunbrud, +4 imp. grapple, +2 aberration blood, +7 str = +19 for grapple check.

So I make a touch attack, or a claw attack with imp. grab, hit, then make opposed grapple checks (no AoO) - if I win I deal unarmed damage. Check.

So how do I pin from here? Is it another attack roll to pin? If it requires another attack roll to pin, even though I only have a +1 base attack bonus my understanding of having claws means I could make two claw attacks in a round, does that count? How do I determine if I pinned for a full round - does that mean I have to win two consecutive grapple checks in two consecutive rounds?

Can someone please lay out the step-by-step for pinning during a grapple for me please?

Because right now I'm pretty sure I'm going to win a grapple check at our level... but what do I do once I've got a hold of them? ...aside from biting their ear off?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dandu

First Post
The Min/Max forums here have quite a few experts on grappling. I myself am rather unfamiliar with the rules, as the first rule of grappling I know if is "DON'T!"

Vegepygmy

First Post
So how do I pin from here? Is it another attack roll to pin?
Yes.

LiL KiNG said:
If it requires another attack roll to pin, even though I only have a +1 base attack bonus my understanding of having claws means I could make two claw attacks in a round, does that count?
No.

LiL KiNG said:
How do I determine if I pinned for a full round - does that mean I have to win two consecutive grapple checks in two consecutive rounds?
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you have a +1 BAB, you cannot pin in the same round that you initiate the grapple...so yes, it will require two grapple checks (and thus two rounds) to pin your opponent. But if you successfully pin your opponent, he is always pinned for a full round (so there is no "determining" if you pinned him for a full round).

Or have I misunderstood your question?

LiL KiNG said:
Can someone please lay out the step-by-step for pinning during a grapple for me please?
1. Start a Grapple (see Steps 1 through 4 on page 156 of your 3.5 PHB).
2. Win an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack) to Pin Your Opponent.
3. Your opponent is now pinned for 1 round.

LiL KiNG

First Post
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you have a +1 BAB, you cannot pin in the same round that you initiate the grapple...so yes, it will require two grapple checks (and thus two rounds) to pin your opponent. But if you successfully pin your opponent, he is always pinned for a full round (so there is no "determining" if you pinned him for a full round).
Or have I misunderstood your question?

What I meant was after I make the pin check, do I need to make another pin check the following round to see if he is still pinned? For the Choke Hold feat it requires that I successfully pin an opponent for 1 round to force a Save or Unconscious effect, when do I determine that the pin has been long enough for this?

1. Start a Grapple (see Steps 1 through 4 on page 156 of your 3.5 PHB).
2. Win an opposed grapple check (made in place of an attack) to Pin Your Opponent.
3. Your opponent is now pinned for 1 round.

Ok, I think I've got but just to make sure it should look like this;
Round 1: claw attack/improved grab/grapple check/critical unarmed strike damage from OA Earth's Embrace feat.

Round 2: opposed grapple check for a pin? (does unarmed strike damage apply every time you make/win a grapple check?)

Round 3: opponent was pinned for 1 round so now they Fort Save or fall unconscious via Choke Hold feat? (do I need to make another grapple check here first or not?)

Thanks for the assistance!!

Vegepygmy

First Post
What I meant was after I make the pin check, do I need to make another pin check the following round to see if he is still pinned?
Yes. Each successful pin check pins your opponent for only 1 round.

LiL KiNG said:
For the Choke Hold feat it requires that I successfully pin an opponent for 1 round to force a Save or Unconscious effect, when do I determine that the pin has been long enough for this?
I'm not familiar with the Choke Hold feat, but it should work like this:

Round 1: You successfully pin your opponent.
Round 2: Immediately before your turn begins, your opponent suffers the Save or Unconscious effect (at this point, he has been pinned for 1 round).

LiL KiNG said:
Round 2: opposed grapple check for a pin? (does unarmed strike damage apply every time you make/win a grapple check?)
No, it does not.

LiL KiNG said:
Round 3: opponent was pinned for 1 round so now they Fort Save or fall unconscious via Choke Hold feat? (do I need to make another grapple check here first or not?)
Your opponent should make his save immediately before your turn begins, so if he fails, he's unconscious and there will be no need for you to make another grapple check on your turn. If he succeeds and does not go unconscious, you'll have to win another grapple check to keep him pinned (if that's what you want to do).

Remove ads