How to annoy a paladin, and not get killed in the procces?

Crothian

First Post
No, do it to the Paladin the guy your trying to ignore. Do it at the gaming table as your character is doing it. And then when the player does get mad and loses his temper turn to the DM ans say "that was very unpaladin like I think he should lose his paladin abilities."

Ragmon

Explorer
No, do it to the Paladin the guy your trying to ignore. Do it at the gaming table as your character is doing it. And then when the player does get mad and loses his temper turn to the DM ans say "that was very unpaladin like I think he should lose his paladin abilities."

OH, like that, well it is worth a shot i guess. XD

kitcik

Adventurer
Play a lawful good character, but continuously commit evil acts.

Come up with hokey, far-fetched reasons for why they were necessary - that you act out in charades because you have taken a "vow of silence".

Neither the paladin nor the DM will know what to do.

Could i get an example for this? Cause it don't think I understand it fully.

So, the party is battling in an orc village and you suddenly leave the battle and start slaying the children. When asked, you reply "I thought they were polymorphed casters."

Or, the party is fighting a big battle and your melee tank is badly wounded. When he finishes off the baddie in front of him and starts to drink a potion (of healing), you say "that provokes!" and attempt to smash the potion (disarm). When asked, you reply "I thought he grabbed the wrong potion - it looked like poison."

If you actually think about it, I am sure you can think of more creative stuff than that.

Ragmon

Explorer
So, the party is battling in an orc village and you suddenly leave the battle and start slaying the children. When asked, you reply "I thought they were polymorphed casters."

Or, the party is fighting a big battle and your melee tank is badly wounded. When he finishes off the baddie in front of him and starts to drink a potion (of healing), you say "that provokes!" and attempt to smash the potion (disarm). When asked, you reply "I thought he grabbed the wrong potion - it looked like poison."

If you actually think about it, I am sure you can think of more creative stuff than that.

Heh interesting.

Oh and the thread isn't just about me annoying paladins..its about the community of EN World and how would they annoy them. :)
I will add some ideas after my exam tomorrow.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Heh interesting.

Oh and the thread isn't just about me annoying paladins..its about the community of EN World and how would they annoy them. :)
I will add some ideas after my exam tomorrow.
I'm not a fan of "annoy" in D&D because the very word implies "not fun" to me.
I would either design an exemplory LG, very powerful, very much obeying code Paladin that was better in every way to the player, or I'd design a Paladin that could get away with committing these grevious acts while sticking to the RAW mechancs, like playing a Hellbred Paladin/Greyguard weilding a cursed Unholy sword with the Knight Training feat into Rogue or something.

Greenfield

Adventurer
In our current game we have a player who routinely plays Monks and Paladins. Not always, but he definitely favors that side of things.

My character, a decidedly not-lawful Bard, enticed the player's current Monk to help him smuggle some bolts of silk he'd bought past a group of guards posted on the waterfront. They had orders to seal off the area to prevent a wanted criminal from escaping the city by sea.

The technique was simple: I didn't tell him what we were doing, I just asked for his help. As in "Could you grab the other end of this stack?" My character then cast a Silent Image of a wisp of fog drifting through the area, to act as cover, and we walked in. Since it was an illusion and not real fog my character could see through it just fine, and know where the guards were.

When one of them heard us and came to investigate, I had the Monk help me turn around so it would look like we were sneaking off the ship, instead of onto it. The guard caught us, checked that I did indeed have receipts for the silk, then ordered us "back" to the ship and gave us a stern warning not to try anything like this again.

We all had a good laugh about it later, but he soon came to realize that one of his first acts in the party had been to break the law, a grass-roots level alignment violation for a class that must be Lawful.

So try something like that on him. Simply ask for his assistance, in a friendly manner, in some relatively innocent activity that should be against his alignment. And go the non-Lawful route rather than the Evil one, since he can Detect Evil at will, but can't Detect Chaos.

Note that this isn't designed to annoy the player, though it might well do that. Instead it will cost his character his Paladin status. And since it wasn't an Evil shift, he doesn't even get the "go Blackguard" option.

Ragmon

Explorer
I would just talk to the people, but if you're in high school the annoying stuff could actually work.

Well they never got beyond high school (as in 12 years of schooling in total)...on the other hand I am finishing my BSc this year...and there older then me by 1-2 years.

Ragmon

Explorer
In our current game we have a player who routinely plays Monks and Paladins. Not always, but he definitely favors that side of things.

I didn't want to quote the whole thing.

This is a good example of what would be interesting to do, I might implement something of a sort.

Might not even cost him his Paladin-hood probably just a stern warning, but sure will annoy the person a bit.

And thanks for reminding me its not just about Evil and Good.

Remove ads