• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How to balance the shield spell?

Clint_L

Hero
The problem with Shield is that it never scales and is always relevant. Listing it as +3 AC instead, with a +1 per slot level above 1, would balance it out IMO.
I agree with this - I like that it's a reaction, it's simple, and it does exactly what you'd expect. It's just over tuned for a level 1 spell.

My instinct has always been to have the AC bonus equal your proficiency bonus, rather than a straight +5. Easiest way to implement it.
Spells should not automatically scale.

So probably +2 as first level spell. And +1 for every spell level above.
If you blow a 3rd level slot, it is +4. If you blow a 9th level slot, it is +10. Not bad for a 9th level slot. But not that good either.

Either:

(a) Make it work against only the triggering attack or Magic Missile, or

(b) Make it work more like older editions. Cast as action instead of a reaction, the shield it creates grants cover vs. attacks coming from in front of the caster, takes another action on subsequent turns to move the shield.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
One of the most discussed spell of 5E is the shield. It's either a good spell on a wizard or broken on a high AC fighter/wizard/EK combo. Or pala/sorc combo.

So how to make it more balanced and still useful and have it a use as a shield?

Shield:
1st level spell
1 Action cast
Duration 12hours(so sorcerers can have some use with extend spell)

you increase your AC by 1. If you have one empty hand or you use your spell focus in that hand, spells AC bonus increases to +3.
If you suffer a critical hit, you can end the spell to turn that critical into a normal hit.

if you use 3rd level slot, AC bonus is +2/+4 and you can block one crit without ending the spell as an reaction, 6th level slot is +3/+5 and you can block two crits without ending the spell as an reaction, and 9th level slot is +4/6 and you can block three crits without ending the spell as an reaction.
That's a no-go for me. Totally different feel to the flavor of the spell. It's supposed to be a momentary protection, not a long term one. The long term one is mage armor. Whatever is done with it, I'd want it to remain a reaction or bonus action, and last no more than the end of your next turn.

Spells should not automatically scale.

So probably +2 as first level spell. And +1 for every spell level above.
If you blow a 3rd level slot, it is +4. If you blow a 9th level slot, it is +10. Not bad for a 9th level slot. But not that good either.
This is also interesting. As a decision point, you know what AC your attacker is about to hit, so you know the minimum spell you have to cast for that triggering attck to miss. Now do you want to use the bare minimum to make that one attack miss? Or use a higher level spell slot in case you anticipate more attacks that roll higher that round?

Also, for scaling spells, why not add a special bonus at an effective cap for that spell? Like below:

Shield; Reaction; +2 AC, +1 per level of the spell, until the beginning of your next turn. If you cast it at Nth level, every attack misses, negating even Nat 20s and critical hits for the duration.

TheSword

Legend
One of my players had a good suggestion.

Run the spell exactly as it is but if their use it as a reaction it works on 1 attack. Or it can be cast as an action and it lasts until the start of your next turn.

Remove ads