How to Build a D&D NPC in 15 minutes

Mighty Halfling said:
I was recently thinking that the next time I DM, my NPCs will be completely classless. I would purchase a book like "Buy the Numbers" and build the NPCs exactly how I wanted them to turn out.

Hmmm.

I own Buy The Numbers, and while you _could_ do that, you're still potentially looking at a pretty fair amount of time being spent. If they'd made a spreadsheet to handle the building it would have rocked hard.

But they didn't, so you have to do it by hand, and time stacks up on that.

Personally, I'm using a combination of things.

My core is the Adamant product, Foe Factory: Modern. You can find it here: http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=51080&filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=92

Basically you have a scale of 1-10 to rate an NPC on. 4-6 is about "PC average", meaning that it's roughly comperable to PCs, not "average" for the world.

For each of the categories (Initiative, Attack, Defense, Resilience, Hit Points, Competence) you find the "rank" of the NPC (from I - X or 1-10) and then slide along the chart to the level of the NPC. That's your score.

"Resilience" is basically a one-stop bonus to saving throws. Toss out Fort/Will/Ref and simply use the Resilience score.

"Competence" is a one-stop bonus for skill checks. They suggest that if you need an NPC skilled in some specific area, then you explicitly increase their skill bonuses by taking an "attribute"; essentially like a feat.

It's a pretty simple and slick system.

As an example, an NPC that got a rank of IV for Attack Bonus will have an attack of 0 at level 1 and +12 at level 20.

The _really_ spiffy thing about this is that you don't have to really worry about redoing stats for NPC types over and over and over again. Decide, "I think a Merc is going to be a rank VI for attack and a rank IV for Defense. A Bodyguard though is going to be a Defense of VII and Attack of IV" and you're pretty much set.

In other words, all you really need to do is figure out some basic "templates" and you're mostly done. Decide on the level that some particular NPC is going to be and then jot down the numbers and you're done.

I think overall, the Foe Factory: Modern product is _much_ faster for what you're talking about doing. Buy The Numbers is pretty slick and I get use out of it, but for doing NPC stuff I want fast. I'm using it for my Everstone (BESMd20 based) game, and it's been fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've actually gone one step further, and am working on using it for handling Monsters. Why? Because there's not a whole lot of difference between an "NPC" and a "Monster" as far as I'm concerned. I don't tend to have NPCs hanging out with the group though, so my case might be different.

I figure that you've got an overall base "difficulty" of the monster, which is represented by its various special abilities. So you look at the entry of the critter and use what you see there as the base determination for the various ranks (I-X) in the aforementioned categories.

After that, you can "adjust" the difficulty of the monster in a sliding fashion. You just keep all the special abilities as they are and go from there. Instant scaling monster. Yeah, it's not _perfect_ but it does what I want. Now I can have Displacer Beasts that are tougher/easier and it's a snap to adjust them.

The Foe Factory pdf has some additional bits to buff your critters/NPCs with as well. I personally prefer the CR cost that's in the Grim Tales critter creator. If you're wanting a fast but "accurate" scaling critter creator, combine the two and you should be fine. Use the GT critter creator to stat out the special abilities of whatever, and essentially use it as a template that gets overlaid onto the simplified stat block that Foe Factory has.

Just something to consider.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll note that the product is for d20 Modern, and I'm doing a D&D derivative, so there's some slight differences, but nothing I consider serious. Supposedly there's a fantasy version of it that exists and they're going to put it out after 4E, but a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

As I also mentioned, I use a variant of the BESMd20 rules. You can still get the SRD here:
http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/animesrd.html
It's also available a couple of other places.

The details of how my game is put together isn't too important to people, unless they're actually interested in the game itself. What is important is the whole assigning of special abilities and so forth.

Anime SRD has a point system that it applies to everything. Saving Throws, Attack Bonuses, the ability to cast magic, hit dice, all that. All of the character classes in my game get 5 Character Points to spend each level buying their special whatevers. Since everyone is 8th level, it means they've spent 40 points.

So to whip up an NPC, I start with whatever template I've already premade, and that covers the half the "stat block" of the NPC right there. If I think I'm going to need actual ability scores for some reason (Str, Int, etc) then I'll simply grab one of the default arrays. As far as I'm concerned though it's mostly pointless. If it's an NPC that I expect the group is going to be dealing with in a combative fashion, then I'll consider it. Otherwise, I think it's a waste.

After that, I simply thumb around a bit and go, "Yeah, I like that and that and that and maybe I'll take a few helpings of that" and I'm done. Feats each cost 2 CP, and then various abilities cost a variable amount of points. It hasn't taken me 15 minutes to make an NPC yet. The longest time actually is simply writing the stupid stuff down. Each NPC/whatever gets the same number of points to buy extra "stuff" as the PCs do.

It seems to work for me, but I'm pretty easy going on stuff too.

Even if you don't go as far as I am though, I think Foe Factory is pretty darn spiffy. Buy the numbers is great for building classes and having them roughly match up to the other classes, but I wouldn't use it for NPC generation unless it was either a fairly low level NPC (I'm running an E8 game) or I felt it critical for some strange reason to build it _very_ exactly. I also would expect to be getting a fair amount of milage out of the NPC, having it recur frequently and not likely to be chopped down by the PCs in the first place.

Voadam

Legend
pawsplay said:
Actually, if you try it, Toughness is pretty strong until level 6 or so. Until you hit the level where you are facing multiple, high damage attacks, 3 hit points means about even odds of surviving one extra hit. That translates into one more round, which means another round of attacks for you and your allies.

Just as an example, I made some 2nd level pregens once. The human fighter had Con 14 and Toughness, which gave him 23 hit points. That's a huge number of hit points; he can personally take a hit from two greataxe wielding orcs, and a third before he dies. Assuming the cleric heals him, his ability to kill low level humanoids is nearly unlimited.

I'm not sure I'd bother with Toughness for an 18 HD monster... then again, with six feats, why not? But for like a dragon I usually go Multiattack, Improved Natural Attack x2, Improved Critical x2, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes. Then I might add Weapon Focus x2, Improved Natural Armor, etc.

A human Blackguard definitely gets Toughness, though. It's okay for the feat to be suboptimal; it's still worth 3 hit points. And that's good enough.

I'm a big fan of improved toughness (from Complete Warrior, gives +1 hp/HD) as a feat for higher level monsters and NPCs. Big beasts often have lots of HD per CR and it can bump up their survivability a blow or two.

pawsplay

Hero
Voadam said:
I'm a big fan of improved toughness (from Complete Warrior, gives +1 hp/HD) as a feat for higher level monsters and NPCs. Big beasts often have lots of HD per CR and it can bump up their survivability a blow or two.

Yeah, that's a good one, and it's both simple and printed in several sources.

The tip on simply maxing out skills equal to the number of skill points gained per level does make picking out skills simpler.

You also need to account for how well your PCs can optimize. If they are running about the same power level the default game assumes, then setting up quick and dirty NPCs will be fine. If your PC are running around with Batman wizards and Codzillas, then your gonna have to adapt.

pawsplay

Hero
MichaelSomething said:
The tip on simply maxing out skills equal to the number of skill points gained per level does make picking out skills simpler.

You also need to account for how well your PCs can optimize. If they are running about the same power level the default game assumes, then setting up quick and dirty NPCs will be fine. If your PC are running around with Batman wizards and Codzillas, then your gonna have to adapt.

Or just let them win. Personally, I just jack up the boss enouncters to party level +4 or so in the first place. So yes, you do need to take this into account. But really, how winful the party is depends on their enthusiasm for minmaxing in the first place. I'm okay with them guiding the bar.

Kraydak

First Post
MichaelSomething said:

But adapting doesn't take extra time. Don't try to squeeze in a scary PrC or feat combo... just add 1 level. Optimization is a word that *should not* come up in reference to NPCs.

Remove ads