• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how to crank that spell DC up...

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Thanee said:
You mean cranked up paladin or cleric! ;)

Anyways, I havn't seen any reason to use Mind Fog yet, as it has a Will save itself, it seems more useful to cast a spell with a more tangible effect directly.

Bye
Thanee

I'm a fan of Touch of Idiocy. No save. And -1d6 to Wis *and* Cha will drop the Will save of even the cranked up Paladin.

Problem is delivering that touch spell. A familiar can do it but gets clobbered with an AoO going in and a full attack by the recipient on its turn. Forget that. Maybe a caster with Spring Attack? But then you'd have to wait 'til 9th level, unless you multiclass with a +1BAB/level class.

Maybe a Spring Attacking Paladin/Sor?

Pal 1: Dodge, Mobility | 1 BAB
Pal 2: Divine Favor | 2 BAB
Sor 1: Spell Focus: Enchantment | 2 BAB
Sor 2: 3 BAB
Sor 3:
Ftr 1: Spring Attack, Spell Focus: Necromancy | 4 BAB
Sor 4: Finally gets Touch of Idiocy

Okay, that's inefficient.

Maybe better to go Clr/Wiz and use the wizard's familiar to deliver the touch attack (protected by Shield Other and buffs).

Last edited:

melkoriii

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
I'm a fan of Touch of Idiocy. No save. And -1d6 to Wis *and* Cha will drop the Will save of even the cranked up Paladin.

Problem is delivering that touch spell. A familiar can do it but gets clobbered with an AoO going in and a full attack by the recipient on its turn. Forget that. Maybe a caster with Spring Attack? But then you'd have to wait 'til 9th level, unless you multiclass with a +1BAB/level class.

Maybe a Spring Attacking Paladin/Sor?

Pal 1: Dodge, Mobility | 1 BAB
Pal 2: Divine Favor | 2 BAB
Sor 1: Spell Focus: Enchantment | 2 BAB
Sor 2: 3 BAB
Ftr 1: Spring Attack, Spell Focus: Necromancy | 4 BAB
Sor 3:
Sor 4: Finally gets Touch of Idiocy

Okay, that's inefficient.

Maybe better to go Clr/Wiz and use the wizard's familiar to deliver the touch attack (protected by Shield Other and buffs).

Or just cast Spectral Hand ahead of time.

FrankTrollman

First Post
...or make spellstoring weapons for your fighter friends.

Then you could lay Touch of Idiocy on your enemies indirectly before your first action even comes up.

-Frank

Thanee

First Post
Zaruthustran said:

Ouch, havn't noticed that it has no save yet. Seems like all those stat drainers are like that. Nasty!

This spell will also lower all save DCs of an opposing spellcaster!

I suppose those penalties do not stack (so multiple castings of the same spell won't do much, except maybe having a better result rolled).

Bye
Thanee

Lela

First Post
Thanee said:
Ouch, havn't noticed that it has no save yet. Seems like all those stat drainers are like that. Nasty!

I suppose those penalties do not stack (so multiple castings of the same spell won't do much, except maybe having a better result rolled).

Bye
Thanee
It could be Maximized,or Enhanced though.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Thanee said:

Yeah, not to mention removing the highest-level spells from the spellcaster's repertoir.

If you hit a 9th level enemy cleric with a Touch of Idiocy and reduce his Wis to 12, then he's stuck with 2nd level spells and lower. He can't cast any of his high level spells (like Restoration) because his Wis is too low!

-z

Lela

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
Yeah, not to mention removing the highest-level spells from the spellcaster's repertoir.

If you hit a 9th level enemy cleric with a Touch of Idiocy and reduce his Wis to 12, then he's stuck with 2nd level spells and lower. He can't cast any of his high level spells (like Restoration) because his Wis is too low!

-z
Ouch. A lot. Let me confirm, this spell is in the 3.5 PHB? That's it, I need to get 3.5 soon.

FrankTrollman

First Post
Of course, Touch of Idiocy is a d6 of Wisdom Damage - and can't realistically lower a 9th level Cleric's Wisdom to 12.

Assuming a starting stat of 16 (which is a little on the low side in many games) - the Cleric will have put both stat bumps into Wisdom and invested in a Wisdom Item or spell.

You aren't going to see a 9th level Cleric with a Wisdom of less than 20 - and unless you roll max and empower it, he's still going to be casting 4th or 5th level spells.

-Frank

Remove ads