how to create golems

rankarrog

First Post
since the costs to create are (in the MM) always included in the full prize: What's so special about the body cost? Are they recyle-able or why do Wotc always tell us this costs?

Last edited:

keb

First Post
ragnarok said:
since the costs to create are (in the MM) always included in the full prize: What's so special about the body cost? Are they recyle-able or why do Wotc always tell us this costs?

That's pretty much the reason. :) If the creation ritual is interrupted for some reason, the creator has to start over, but he can reuse the golem's body.

Krishnath

First Post
Thak you! All of you! any cost process can be found, if you just work hard enough at it, now I wonder what Devon thinks of my work?

Devon

First Post
Thank you for your hard work, Krishnath. Your efforts are not in vain.

The total Xp cost equals the cost in Gp/50, the same as with most other magical items.

This is consistent with the 2% rule posted earlier; it works for the prime four as well as the Shield Golem, and is the standard for Monte's Construct template.

which indicates that the total gold cost of creating a golem equals, the golems total hp x 1000gp rounded up to the nearest 10000 gp.

This looks pretty consistent with the prime four golems, but calculating things based on hit points (and not hit dice) is almost like finding out that the Force is made up of microbes... I just feel dirty knowing it :).

However, this equation doesn't work with the Shield Golem, (82 hp, costs 100,000gp), which would round up to 90,000 with the hp*1000, rounded up theory.

Perhaps the current theoretical equation would be able to work if we determined some way to account for extra powers, although the shield guardian, lacking the traditional golem's immunity to all magic, is arguably weaker than a prime golem, although not necessarily less useful.

I was thinking of doing a chart of Golems too.
Flesh, Clay, Stone, Iron, from Colossal to Fine.
Have the stats for each and the cost to make.
If your going to do it I'm all for it, it would be very useful.

While well and good, this would be something best circulated offline, as it would perhaps be considered infringement. I've created a breakdown of each one (nothing special, just the data we're bandying about), but not the full stat list (which can be cut and pasted from the SRD... when it becomes public domain, that is :) ).

What we need is a consistent way to figure in the golem's immunities, as well as extra powers. I would imagine this would most likely be based on CR, as that is a rough guesstimate of a creature's power. What's the cost difference between a standard iron golem, and an iron golem with a disintegrate ray? When a golem has healing spells, does the creator need to cast each and every one into the golem at the time of binding, or should it just get the heal spell, or resurrection, and be allowed to cast lesser versions based on the initial enchantment? What if a clay golem weren't immune to most magic? What if a golem creator doesn't work with another spellcaster, and thus has no access to half the basic spells required to bind it (which don't seem consistent at the moment)? These are the things which cause me some concern...

Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this.

Devon

Devon

First Post
What's so special about the body cost?
Are they recyle-able or why do Wotc always tell us this costs?

Not only that, we have to know how much to pay the artisan contracted to create the body :).

I wonder if buying the artisan's silence can be counted towards the total cost?

"O-kee, dat's 2,000 gold for the steel-frame back-swept, fully-articulated, blade-armed, black steel construct, with the optional ruby eyes and poison receptacles...

aaaaaaand, another 40,000 to keep me from sending a missive to Duke Reynolds with the details of this unholy thing you've had me create."

"That leaves me only 8,000 to buy incense and newt gizzards! Not to mention renting the dancers!"

Devon

Richards

Legend
Next month, the latest in Mongoose Publishing's "Encyclopaedia Arcane" series will be hitting the shelves. This one's called "Constructs," and examines not only golems but also automatons, simulacra, and homunculi. It should be interesting.

Gish Makai

First Post
Richards said:
Next month, the latest in Mongoose Publishing's "Encyclopaedia Arcane" series will be hitting the shelves. This one's called "Constructs," and examines not only golems but also automatons, simulacra, and homunculi. It should be interesting.
I am definately getting this book.

Krishnath

First Post
Devon: first and foremost: the Shield Guardian is not a golem, just need to point that out before I continue :D
Well anyways, it was a solid attempt at trying to figure out the cost, and I am glad that someone pointed out the inconsistencies (Phew! long word) of the formula, similar thing was discovered by me, when I browsed the construction costs of Gem Golems, but you can't blame a guy from trying ;)

So far, we have established that the Xp cost of Golems equals 2% of the total cost in gold. So at least thats a start, I will look over the golems again in a couple of days, since I'm busy tomorrow. But I will find the formula, this I swear by the Great Old Ones! (Yes I'm a cthulhu fan, why else do you think I love mind flayers and beholderkin so much :D)

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
Yes I'm a cthulhu fan, why else do you think I love mind flayers and beholderkin so much

I can't argue with you... I'm the Cthulhu guru for my LARP troupe, Dreams of Deirdre.

the Shield Guardian is not a golem

True, it's just a construct, but I want there to be some consistent way to figure out what they require. It seems to need the same spells as a golem, and it costs more per hit point, yet it lacks the immunities.

Maybe our needs will be answered by Encyclopedia Arcane: Constructs.

when I browsed the construction costs of Gem Golems

What did you discover about them?

- Devon

Remove ads