How to get the levels out of d20

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
To those who rally against the notion of levelless d20 please do not read on

For everyone else - it is already establsihed that D20 could easily be classless - turning class abilities into feats and making everything skill based.

However - my interest is in how to make D20 leveless too - any ideas?

We could follow the gurps route of making players spend xp to gain njew skills, abilities, feats, spells etc
or we could use the increasing DC - increasing skill rank route

ANY IDEAS?

Last edited:

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I think the "cashing in XP" option would work best, but you'd have to be very careful in assigning XP values to everything.

Rav

Tsyr

Explorer
I guess you could assign a "cost" to all abilities, then do the white-wolf "exp cash-in" route if you wanted...

But I think it's prohibited by the OGL, at least if you wanted to publish it.

Zappo

Explorer
Anyway, yes, the OGL forbids it. You cannot change the character creation and advancement rules, and I'm pretty sure that eliminating levels would fit into the category.

That said, if you are not going to sell it, go ahead.

Tsyr

Explorer
One group did publish (albiet over the net) a "classless" d20 system, which you would think would be in violation of the agreement, but it wasn't really... Called "classless", but what it really was was just one huge, very customizable class.

Psion

Adventurer
Tonguez said:
To those who rally against the notion of levelless d20 please do not read on

Um, I don't think people actively rally against the idea of levelless d20. Perhaps the problem is that many people are shrewd enough to see that if you really want to pull levels out by the roots, you are going to have to do some massive reassembly of the system and what you get in the end won't be d20 anymore... and you are wasting your time, since there are other leveless systems out there.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
the OGL forbids it

Does the OGL forbid it?
I thought it merely said that the existing leveling/advancement system could not be reproduced. If however it was wholesale replaced and made OGC...

and if the moderators agree this should be house rules then I wont object to the move...

anyway

Any advancement on the XP Cash-in suggestion?

I can't see an easy way of getting leveless D20 (thats really D20)
but have considered just 3 'base classes' - Warrior, Rogue, Adept and then making these infinitely adaptable

Remove ads