How To Play A Paladin Correctly.

Sir Trent

Explorer
Paladins are Lawful

Since a paladin is lawful, he must adhere to the laws of his religion. If his religion demands that he kill the babies of certain evil creatures on sight, he must follow the teachings of his religion. Now his religion might be somewhat chaotic, but he himself must follow the laws of his religion even above those of the King or nation.
Whether a Paladin is bossy, holier than thou, or whatever is unimportant. What is important is that the Paladin follow the tenants of his religion as closely as is humanly (or whatever) possible.
If his religion requires him to be meek and fight only when necessary, so be it. If his religion requires him to carry his weapon in his hand at all times and punish every person who utters a curse word with a sharp-edged blessing to the skull, so be it. If his religion requires him to travel with parties made up of all evil players and try to lead them to the light by his example without ever attacking them, then so be it. It's up to the DM and the player to determine those things in advance and role-play to them. That's the only 'right' way to play a paladin.

tonym

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Here is the code I devolped for one branch of Paladins.

Very cool!

I like the idea of a DM detailing more than one Code for paladins. This way, a Player can choose the order that best fits the type of paladin he wants to run, rather than having to conform to a possibly un-fun stereotype.

"Un-fun" in a subjective sense, of course. Me, for example: I would have no fun running a paladin that was passive and gentle and meek and cried into a silk hanky everytime he was obliged to draw his sword.

I like the idea of evil creatures being AFRAID of paladins.

:]
Tony

jasper

Rotten DM
Jasper Paladin thoughts
A character since humanoids classify as a creature with an evil alignment at tenth or lower level would have a faint aura of power. Up to twenty-fifth level a moderate aura.
A priest of evil god who class level is one has a faint, second to fourth a moderate, strong at fifth to tenth, and overwhelming after that. Detect Evil is divination with V, S, Df, how ever it is spell like ability which has no components. Now it up to dm to determine if spell ability can be detected.

So Paladin cast as spell in crowded bar and in eighteen seconds knows at table four there is one overwhelming aura, and three faint traces. He charges! After slaying the evil he is beheaded for murder. Next paladin.

Dms must come up with a code of conduct of conduct for paladins for each of gods. And allow the player to make adjustments.
However paladins are not cops.
Ex, Lawyer, Excuse me Bucky the Wonder Paladin did you say halt I’m a Paladin before you attacked Orcus in the town square.
Bucky, No he was EVIL!
Dm, Boom There it is! No more paladin powers for you since you violated the law.

Also a paladin is not smite on sight sword slinger.
Ex. Bucky the Wonder Paladin while giving a class on justice, decided to detect evil on the Springfield Elementary fourth grade class. Suddenly he rushes over starts choking Bart Simpson. With the aid of Ned Flanders, Principal Skinner was able to subdue Bucky. Bucky is now doing five to ten in the local pen. Hey that is it. Sideshow Bob is a paladin.

A paladin liberally using his Detect Evil every five rounds isn’t smart either and he is being tacky. Bucky the Wonder paladin arrives on noon stage coach to Tatoonie. He wanders into Jabba’s Bar and Grill (slogan we have good deals and meals). Boom detects evil. He draws his sword. (sfx of mass blaster fire). A small droid rolls out of wall and vacuums up the ashes. The bartender adds another hash mark to paladins’ wasted wall.

What Bucky should do is something like this. Bucky the Wonder paladin and party are stop by Mr. Haney the road side vendor. While Mr. Haney goes into his pitch, Bucky detects evil and receives a faint aura. Bucky, “It sounds like a good deal on the +3 vorpal Ginzu set but I do not trust Mr. Haney. Mr. Haney are you sure this is a good deal?” etc. Bucky then notes Mr. Haney as a person to keep an eye on in the future.

Are paladins the law, Judge Dread of the land? Ask your Dm. IMC it varies with kingdom whether they are the law enforcement office. Now I once had a Paladin chase the party half way across the continent. Once she caught up with party and learned the facts of jail break, she charges them with the jail break. Fined them and made them pay the wergild for the slain guards. Then cut them loose since the party was fighting greater evil than the violation of kingdom laws.

Would Bucky the Wonder Paladin back stab Orcus in the back, when Orcus is shopping at Wal-Mart? Depends on the level and code of conduct of paladin. At first level just as he was going for his sword his cell phone would beep. Bucky, “Hello, Bucky speaking.” Voice, “do not do it. You are not good enough yet.” Bucky, “but he is EVIL!” Voice, “the boss does not employ stupid paladins. Help is on the way so just sit still and don’t get yourself nuked!” Bucky, “What’s a nuke?” Voice, “Never mind that now!” click. Now if Bucky was twentieth level, and Bucky was shopping for some new Underroos and spied Orcus in the shoe dept and he did nothing. His cell phone would beep. “Bucky here. How may I help you?” Voice, “Clean up on aisle five.” Bucky, “Can’t you see I am shopping in peace here?” Voice, “Clean up on aisle five, now.” Bucky, “Hey I am on vacation! Can’t get someone else?” Voice, “Clean up on aisle five, right now! Or else!” Bucky, “Ok I’m going can’t take a little joke.” Click.

Can the detect evil spell like ability be detect? Depends on the Dm handles spell like abilities. And if there are any spells up on the patrons.

I allow paladins to drink, smoke, flirt etc depending on their CoC. Hey they can have gas if they want to. The CoC for each god is not necessary the same to give each religion and paladin some style. Also the player decides on how evil aura appears to the paladin. One player uses the taste of crisp for faint, to very burnt, to spit it out. Another uses smell and still another uses color yellow, orange, then red.

so how to roleplay a paladin is proper mixture of the dm view and player's view.
And what works for one group may be belly laughs for another.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
tonym said:
Very cool!

I like the idea of a DM detailing more than one Code for paladins. This way, a Player can choose the order that best fits the type of paladin he wants to run, rather than having to conform to a possibly un-fun stereotype.

"Un-fun" in a subjective sense, of course. Me, for example: I would have no fun running a paladin that was passive and gentle and meek and cried into a silk hanky everytime he was obliged to draw his sword.

I like the idea of evil creatures being AFRAID of paladins.

Tony

Very true, each group of Paladins should have different codes as dictated by thier gods. Paladins of Pholtus would be vastly different than the Paladin of Hieroneous I detalied. Much more zealous and more rules about dealing with infidels who may be infesting the perfection of the Pale. I don't think most gods would have Paladins either.

Zad

First Post
Go to the Story Hours :
Eadric of Deorham (Sepuchrave's)
Aethramyr (Wizardru's)

A paladin doesn't have to be pompous, or self righteous. They just have to live their lives always trying to do what is right, and consistent with their diety.

tonym said:
Very cool!

My campaign includes "Knights of Solamnia" but the NPC paladin in the party is Mag'i (think a lawful, communist, somewhat xenophobic Ogre Mage). His definition of "good" is far more "big picture" than the rest of the party, while he doesn't even notice some actions as being evil because he still has trouble with this whole "personal property" concept.

He's *very* big on honor, one of the few things he has in common with the Knights. It is also one of the things the rest of the party doesn't comprehend and it occassionally depresses him.

He has "adopted" the PCs and is *very* protective of them, even Burne the evil rogue. Burne tends to get surrounded while trying to grab shiny things, which early on evoked an enthusiastic response. These days it has happened so many times the paladin's tag-line of "I'll save you Burne" is delivered with an Eeyore-like cadence of boredom and mild amusement.

If it weren't for his fast-healing abilities the Paladin'd be an alchoholic, given his fondness for drink. (Of course he also eats soap, so what can I say)

Of course, he has little little hesitation using his Charm ability in towns. It would be dishonorable to use it for negotiations but to keep the bartender from spitting in his drink is just peachy. The fact that he has a Charisma 19, a good diplomacy and never takes advantage of the charmed people (tipping incredibly well, actually) means he considers it an "ice breaker" more than anything else. A Knight would probably have a conniption fit if they found out.

Voadam

Legend
Anyway the player wants to play them with two exceptions, no evil actions and no GROSS Violations of the Code. These make you an ex-paladin.

Law/Chaos is not that important in my games but they have to have LG down on the sheet if we are playing by the rules. But there is enough flexibility in the description of Lawful to cover almost any actions or attitudes. Even non-gross violations of the code do not cause any problems.

The no evil actions part is the tricky one, but I give a lot of leeway normally so that players do not feel harassed.

3e is very flexible in the use of character concepts and even though the blessed heroic knight is an archetype, it is certainly not the only "proper" way to play a paladin in 3e.

tonym

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Very true, each group of Paladins should have different codes as dictated by thier gods. Paladins of Pholtus would be vastly different than the Paladin of Hieroneous I detalied. Much more zealous and more rules about dealing with infidels who may be infesting the perfection of the Pale. I don't think most gods would have Paladins either.

A fun short adventure might be to have all the Players run paladins, with each player running a DIFFERENT type of paladin: A paladin of Pholtus, a paladin of Hieroneous, etc.

All those conflicting CODES!! Man, THAT could make for some interesting roleplaying!

Quick! Somebody write and publish an adventure like this and mention me in the credits!

Tony

Endur

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Firstly avoid being blood thirsty... most Paladins seemed like Frenzied Crusaders. You should be a living example to others and not a zealot barbarian. Most paladins forget that they will make the world better not only by their actions... but what they show the world.

Agreed. Being an example is very important.

Rashak Mani said:
Which leads us to the many forgotten qualities a Paladin should have:
Humility: Stop ordering people around. No "Holier than thou."
Generosiy: Donate more.... help more.
Good Will: You should be always helpful and positive in your actions
"Pure": Its about trying to remain "pure" from the daily temptations and mistakes of human life. To remember when you do fail to be really regretful.

Humilitiy, Generousity, and Goodwill are very important, from the example point of view. And to have regrets for your failures.

Rashak Mani said:
Second... Awful/Lawful Stupid alignment should be avoided. Everyone has stories about Paladins not backing off fights or charging head on into hordes of foes. Just because you are one of the chosen holy warriors doesn't mean your diety has enough time and power to help you get out alive of every encounter. Paladins do not have a death wish... or not all of them. Your not a evil killing machine only.

There are times when it is appropriate to be Lawful Stupid. Especially when you have a bunch of cowardly adventurers that want to sneak past the Orcs and steal the treasure instead of boldly challenging the enemy to battle. "Orcs are evil, we kill them."

Rashak Mani said:
Third: Balance. Anyone who seeks to be the embodiement of good should never be extreme. Your life should include discipline as well as adventure... prayer as well as fighting. Innocence as well as worldliness. Your not a living saint... just a messenger... still you need to operate in the "real" world. Clerics can be religious fanatics... you can't. Others have defects and so do you. Help them out and comprehend them... people come in many colors... not only black and white. Evil and Good. So avoid the famous "kill all evil detected" syndrome. By working with others you not only fight evil... you spread your good example and your dieties ideas. ".)

I agree that balance is good and I'm not a big fan of the "Detect Evil". I'd rather Paladins had a bonus to Sense Motive checks to determine someone's alignment.

With regards to evil creatures, it is far better to convert a creature to good than to slay the creature.

Rashak Mani said:
(Last one is personal. I feel Paladins have to have a touch of innocence. Every religion puts children as an example of purity... purity comes from their innocence. Even selfish children are innocent in their desires. I feel Paladins should have this touch of innocence. My latest Paladin is very innocent... but not all have to. Only those who have this innocence can escape the temptations of power and greed. Good examples of this are Hobbits in LOTR... or Peter Sellers the Gardener character in "being there".)

Innocence is important.

I have a lot of favorite novels for Paladins. The Hawk of May (early 70's?) is a very good Arthurian novel on a Paladin (Holy Sword + Celestial Mount and called by the Higher Powers of good to do battle with evil).

The Horse Lord, Demon Lord, Dragon Lord, Warlord's Domain series of novels is another good series about a Paladin (although slightly different from an ability perspective).

Superman is the Paladin of the comic books.

And so on.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I'd say the best fictional example of behaviour worthy of a paladin that I have come across is Captain Carrot from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.

He is idealistic, despite living in one of the most corrupt cities in the world - and somehow, when he is around, people start being nice to each other despite themselves.

He is humble - he rejects leading the City Watch, and proposes Saumuel Vimes instead (and indeed, he is one of the driving forces for Vimes' eventual "promotion" to the post of the Duke of Ankh). What's more, he is likely the true heir to the throne of the city - but he has hidden all evidence, because he believes that the city doesn't need a king.

He is open-minded to everyone, no matter what their species, gender, or religion (well, with the exception of female dwarves who actually dress female, but Angue is quick to cure him of that). His girlfriend is a werewolf, and he is polite and courteous to humans, dwarves, trolls, zombies, vampires, golems, and gnolls alike.

In the first book, he was quite naive, but he isn't anymore - the way he bluffs his way into the Guild of Fools in Men at Arms is a great example for a paladin trying to be subtle. Sure, he never tells a direct lie when he can avoid it, but this hasn't slowed him down.

In short, if you want to know how a highly charismatic paladin would act, read the City Guard Discworld novels, especially Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo and The Fifth Elephant.

Remove ads